Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Peoples Projects My PiTendo build

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vwbuggsy
    Participant

There are many like it, but this one is MINE! :-)

I’ve been having a blast with the RetroPie. I decided I should go beyond the basic Raspberry Pi case so I gutted an OG Nintendo case and filled it up with tasty RetroPie goodness. I kept it simple and used mostly “off the shelf” panel mount USB, HDMI, Ethernet stuff.
    I used a powered USB hub to get extra USB slots. The only somewhat technical parts were putting in a panel mount AC adapter for the USB hub so the adapter plugged into the console exterior, making the power button work properly (with a nifty blue LED) and also making the OG controllers work with the front-case plug-ins.
    I still haven’t made the reset button do anything. Eventually I’ll make it issue a reboot command or something I just haven’t gotten around to it (mostly since RetroPie/EmulationStation can do everything I want from the controller anyways).

Looks like I can only add a couple photos…

vwbuggsy
    Participant

Let’s see if I can add a couple more photos…

srfrboybob
    Participant

Nice build. I was wondering if your nes ports work but with the nes opened up I can see your USB adapters wired in. Is you power button setup to send a shutdown/halt code or do you just handle this through the retropie ui too?

vwbuggsy
    Participant

Nice build. I was wondering if your nes ports work but with the nes opened up I can see your USB adapters wired in. Is you power button setup to send a shutdown/halt code or do you just handle this through the retropie ui too?

Thanks! Yes the NES controller ports were wired into the male controller plugs, which are plugged into tomee controller to USB adapters and then plugged into the Pi. I liked the idea of having everything easy to unplug and swap out if I want to make changes and that was a fairly easy way to make it happen.

The power button is set in-line with the AC adapter power that runs to the USB hub (which back-powers the Pi) but it’s just a simple switch. I have been doing the shut-down in the ui (emulationstation) then hitting the switch to kill power to the internals. It was an effort vs. benefit thing, though as I get free time again I’d like to revisit the power and re-set buttons. I know there are ways to make them issue commands.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Peoples Projects’ is closed to new topics and replies.