Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Peoples Projects My first Handheld

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ShadowKnight
    Participant

Ive recently been messing around with raspberry pi and its alot of fun. Its a bit big but with a 12000mAmp lithium battery, its pretty hard to keep small. I used the raspberry pi 2 on this project and I 3D printed the case in four parts. It took three months to complete on my spare time and its been a struggle every step of the way. There are many things I would have done differently yet regardless of it all, it works and its fun. :)

ShadowKnight
    Participant

Here are the guts of my creation.

deepdivered
    Participant

i am working on a portable rpi2 also. can you tell me how you powered yours and how long it lasts etc thanks.

ShadowKnight
    Participant

Well I used Adafruit’s PowerBoost 500 + Charger.
    https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-powerboost-500-plus-charger
    As far as how long the battery last, I dont really know. I just finished the project today and have yet to fully charge the battery and try it out. I am powering the hdmi screen, controller, audio amplifier and a fan all from the pi so all that will eat away my charge faster. I’ll charge it over night and try it out tomorrow to let you know. ^_^

ShadowKnight
    Participant

I didnt get to charge it completely but it lasted four hours straight. I was playing harvest moon for the 64 with the audio at full blast

deepdivered
    Participant

Awsome. For some reason I thought the power boost 500 could not produce 2a. Do you have a link to the battery you are ussing?

ShadowKnight
    Participant

I’ve been looking but I think the seller has been removed from ebay. Ebay no longer shows the battery in my history either… The closest battery I’ve found to mine is this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-10000-mAh-Polymer-Li-Lithium-cells-Lipo-For-GPS-PDA-DVD-Tablet-PC-156870-/111242005917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e68a4d9d

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing how your handheld turns out. :P

deepdivered
    Participant

ya thanks. ill keep looking for a good battery. so fare that seems the most challenging part is figuring out how to power it for a decent amount of time.

deepdivered
    Participant
    ShadowKnight
    Participant

No I didnt use that type of battery. It just felt like it was a too good to be true type of lithium battery and it also does not have a protective circuit (also looks more difficult to solder). Mine was more similar to the one I linked. But who knows. Maybe it is a better battery. I’ll probably try it out on my next project.

deepdivered
    Participant

i keep looking at the data from the powerboost 500c and am i understanding wrong or does it max out at 1amp output? you said you have a raspberry pi 2 right. that take 2 – 2.5 amp right? what am i not understanding about that set up? does the powerboost 500c not max out at 1amp? i would think you would have to use the powerboost 1000?

ShadowKnight
    Participant

Lol, I got confused with the way they referenced the 1 amp one as well. Here, this is what they say about it:
    ” 2A internal switch (~2.5A peak limiting) means you can get 500mA+ from a 3.7V LiPoly/LiIon battery ”
    It can and does supply the 2 amps but charging the battery takes a while for me

deepdivered
    Participant

Awesome thanks. Ya that was so confusing how they put that. 2.5a peak is perfect!

deepdivered
    Participant

What clock settings and memory split are you running? Do you feel you need that fan? Do you have heat sinks on there also? What would you do different next time? What did you do for sound, did you get an amp etc. Thanks for all the answers. This is one of the biggest electronics projects I have taken on.

ShadowKnight
    Participant

Im using the 2.6 retropie image, clock setting is the raspberry pi 2 option, didnt change the memory split and I did use heat sinks. At first I only put two heat sinks but after I took a photo with a thermal camera, I added another at the top right. The fan is there to help move the heat out of the heat sink. This makes heat spread towards the rest of the raspberry pi, but at least the processor is a bit cooler…
    For sound, find an audio amplifier that is powered by 5v from usb. After finding one you like, the speakers depend on what your amplifier outputs.
    What I would do different would be my 3d printed design but thats a different story which involves warping…

deepdivered
    Participant

Been talking to an administrator at adafrute. Here is something to take into consideration for our rpi2 projects.

“One point to note: the PowerBoost 500C charges at 500mA. It would take 20-30 hours to fully charge a 10,000mAh pack that way.”

deepdivered
    Participant

ok i decided on a battery. i am gonna cheat lol i gonna pick this up http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQSMEEE

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Peoples Projects’ is closed to new topics and replies.