Viewing 20 posts - 36 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

OK- here’s the plan. forget everything I’ve said. I’ve decided we’ve wasted enough time with the DBUS issue- that is a firmware problem that needs to be solved with the developers or raspbian/omxplayer. In the mean time I’ve come up with a foolproof (i promise this time) solution. ok here we go:

first off if you don’t want to start off with a new build, you need to uninstall omxplayer (otherwise you can just start with a fresh sd image):
    sudo apt-get remove omxplayer

then you’ll follow the steps taken from someone smarter than me:( i.e. 0rionas)

mkdir media
    cd media
    sudo wget http://omxplayer.sconde.net/builds/omxplayer_0.3.4~git20140212~bf48901_armhf.deb
    sudo dpkg -i omxplayer_0.3.4~git20140212~bf48901_armhf.deb
    sudo apt-mark hold omxplayer

then instead of his next steps that don’t take into account the set up script, we go back to the original script from free5ty1e:
    this is the asplashscreen you modify:
    /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/supplementary/asplashscreen/asplashcreen

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:          asplashscreen
    # Required-Start:
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:     S
    # Default-Stop:
    # Short-Description: Show custom splashscreen
    # Description:       Show custom splashscreen
    ### END INIT INFO

do_start () {

while read splashline; do
            echo Playing splash video or image $splashline
            isMovie=$(echo $splashline | grep -o ".mov\|.mp4\|.mkv\|.3gp\|.mpg")
            if [ -z "$isMovie" ]; then
                /usr/bin/fbi -T 1 -once -t 10 -noverbose -a $splashline
                sleep 12
            else
                omxplayer $splashline
            fi
        done </etc/splashscreen.list
        exit 0
    }

case "$1" in
      start|"")
        do_start &
        ;;
      restart|reload|force-reload)
        echo "Error: argument '$1' not supported" >&2
        exit 3
        ;;
      stop)
        # No-op
        ;;
      status)
        exit 0
        ;;
      *)
        echo "Usage: asplashscreen [start|stop]" >&2
        exit 3
        ;;
    esac

:

you leave the splashenable.sh scriptmodule at the original defaults- you don’t do anything to it. (this is the file if you didn’t keep backups before you changed it:
    https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/blob/master/scriptmodules/supplementary/splashenable.sh)

then go into the setup script, enable splashcreens, choose your video splashscreen- reboot.

(for some reason with this older build .mp4 files didn’t play sound on mine- but .avi worked perfectly. .mov and .mkv might work as well but i have not tested them)

sorry for my inexperience in linux and leading you on a wild goosechase. this method will work.

Mike Manley
    Participant

dude it work prefectly like that.thanks alot.one more question lol
    so if i go to boot text file to put quite it gets rid of the text but not the raspberry pi logo.know a fix for that?

herbfargus

FINALLY!!! Ha ha thanks for being patient with me. Add logo.nologo to remove the raspberry pi logo

Mike Manley
    Participant

So like this?

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty3 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait loglevel=3 quiet logo.nologo

herbfargus

Looks right. If that doesn’t work you might have mess with the kernel to remove the raspberry pi logo which can be a little more complicated.

Mike Manley
    Participant

n/m tried it out and its off now.man thank you alot for helping me thru this long process.it works perfectly

herbfargus

Beautiful :) I’m glad it all worked out, it was totally worth it + I learned a ton. I’ll keep you posted on splash videos I make.

Mike Manley
    Participant
    Mike Manley
    Participant

ok awsome keep me posted if u need any help i do have photoshop and after effects and stuff like that

Mike Manley
    Participant

Know anything about mame and the games because i was only able to get one game up on this system thats a pain in the ass right there

yogg
    Participant

Hi!
    I followed the steps in the first post on this page and it works! But the movie cuts out and the emulationstation logo interups it. The sound from the movie is still playing in emulationstation menu tho. Is there any way to get it to play the whole movie ?

herbfargus

@ yogg

Why yes there is- if you said you are using the method from the first post and your code for the asplashcreen file looks something like this:

/usr/bin/omxplayer -o hdmi /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/supplementary/splashscreens/video/mushberryintro.mp4 &

delete the “&” and it will allow the movie to play the whole way through before emulationstation starts: so your changed code will look something like this:

/usr/bin/omxplayer -o hdmi /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/supplementary/splashscreens/video/mushberryintro.mp4

If you are using the second method for image 2.6 the “&” you need to remove is a bit lower in this bit of code:

case "$1" in
      start|"")
        do_start &
        ;;

if you want the movie to play through before emulationstation loads remove the “&” so it looks like this:

case "$1" in
      start|"")
        do_start
        ;;
    robertybob
    Participant

Wow great stuff! Is there a way to have the video load, followed by the main ES screen (i.e. without the Emulationstation Loading Screen) ?

yogg
    Participant

@herbfargus
    I missed the & after do_start. Now it works like a charm! thank you!

herbfargus

@robertybob

The only way to remove the emulationstation loading screen is to modify the source code and recompile it. I leave the loading screen because I’m too lazy to change the source code and I want to give aloshi and nils due credit for all the hard work they did in developing emulation station.

tritium
    Participant

Hey everyone….Great Thread!

I’m been working on my splashscreen all day on RetroPie 2.6 and am having a strange issue.

I got my splash screen to work using
    omxplayer /home/pi/video.mov &
    exit 0

method;(Can’t get the above mentioned script to work) however EmulationStation is loading over my video about 15 seconds into the video.

I know this is usually caused by having an & after the “do_start” but I have erased it and still have the issue.

I’ve updated both the /etc/init.d and /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup\supplementary script locations.

Any Thoughts?

herbfargus

try deleting the & from here : omxplayer /home/pi/video.mov &

I made a video outlining my steps in getting the above script to work. it may be helpful to you

shimlemons
    Participant

I’m trying to get either of these methods to work with retropie 3.0. The one used on 2.6 just gives me a failed to load message when I select the video splash screen, but the older method of changing the asplashscreen in init.d locks my boot up with a failed to start message bus message and i have to load a new image to do anything.

herbfargus

if it gave you a failed to load message it is possible the video format you are using isn’t compatible with that version of omxplayer (i had that issue a bunch and had to convert the videos with vlc to another format)

shimlemons
    Participant

I have figured out it seems to be when I remove the “&” to have the movie play all the way out, I get a “failed to load bus” message and everything locks up. If I leave that in, it works alright.

Viewing 20 posts - 36 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • The forum ‘Splash screens’ is closed to new topics and replies.