Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Mupen64plus not worth the trouble

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RetroMarine
    Participant

Like so many others, I love the N64…which is why it’s so disheartening that Retropie doesn’t have a legit N64 emulator that actually works after the build/install. I used to use Project64 on my PC and that worked great…is there a reason that emulator isn’t the one being used on retropie? With Mupen64plus I have only been able to get Mario64 and Mariokart running decently. I’ve scoured the Internet for settings that would allow mupen to play more than a few games, but after trying them no such luck. Also…I don’t think ANYONE knows how to configure mupen64plus.cfg so that a game pad can actually exit the emulator and also use hotkeys to save/load states. I’ve tried everything! I have over 8,000 games on my retropie, yet only two of them are N64 games. It’s a damn shame.

[URL]http://youtu.be/oeKBHL7xxTc[/URL]

nathanzn64
    Participant

I agree with you retromarine. I installed retropie on my raspi almost exclusively so I could play some good ol’ n64 games. Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong 64, Legend of Zelda, etc. After a couple hours figuring out how to install os and move roms, not to mention buying controller adapters specifically for n64, I went to start Super Smash Bros and nothing… Maybe Donkey Kong… Nothing. I figured maybe there’s a fix… Nothing. I guess I’ll have to download some other console games and play them, but it’s no N64 :/

gizmo98
    Participant

Just added mupen64plus-libretro core to RetroPie-Setup. Because retroarch is used it is possible to exit the emulator with game pad and save/load states. The problem is you need at least 1GHz OC and there must be 384MB of ram available (set GPU men 128MB). Otherwise games will be too slow or the rpi hangs after time because low memory.

How to install:
    -Close emulationstation with “F4”
    -type:

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo git pull
    sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
    select Experimental
    select mupen64plus-libretro core

If you are brave enough start “sudo raspy-config” and set memory split and OC.

gizmo98
    Participant

You can switch video plugins under RGUI/Core-Options.

Rice:
    Castlevania (slow, playable)
    Mario64 (playable)
    PaperMario (playable)
    Conker BadFurDay (too slow)
    Turok2 (slow)
    LoZ Ocarina of Time (slow, playable)

GLES2n64:
    Mario64 (playable)
    SuperMarioKart64 (slow, playable)

rfree
    Participant

[quote=82350]Just added mupen64plus-libretro core to RetroPie-Setup. Because retroarch is used it is possible to exit the emulator with game pad and save/load states. The problem is you need at least 1GHz OC and there must be 384MB of ram available (set GPU men 128MB). Otherwise games will be too slow or the rpi hangs after time because low memory.

How to install:
    -Close emulationstation with “F4″
    -type:

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo git pull
    sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
    select Experimental
    select mupen64plus-libretro core

If you are brave enough start “sudo raspy-config” and set memory split and OC.

[/quote]

Using this method, the hotkey seems to be “start” so, for example, on Mario64 when it says “Press Start”…doing so will cause the game to exit.

gizmo98
    Participant

Do you have the same “start” button problem with snes and other libreto cores? Sounds like a hotkey problem. Just open RetroPie-Setup, select SETUP and “Change hotkey behaviour”. Select 3 and reboot your pi.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.