Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Is there a way to change the location of where saves states are located? I am trying to moves save files to a network drive so that I can have multiple raspberry pis and I can save a game on one and then boot up another and start where I left off. I have the network drive mounted, but I can’t figure out how to tell Retropie to look in the new location for previous save files or save new files in the new location.

I tried changing the savestate_directory and savefile_directory lines at /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg without success. I also tried pasting those lines in the system retroarch.cfg files with no luck. Is there another file that is telling it where to look for save files? Thanks.

Floob

That should be it.
    When you are in game, and save – there should be yellow text along the bottom of the screen – that should show any success or error.
    What does it say for you?

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I save a game it saves to the old location as it used to. When I try to load a save state it gives an error saying it can’t find the save file in the old location (because I moved all the save files to the new location).

Floob

Can you post your /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg on pastebin so we can check it?
    Make sure there isnt a reference to it in the system specific retroarch – unless you want to do it on a per system basis.

Can you see the full message when it tries to load – does it have a number at the end?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is the relevant section of the config file (if you need other sections please let me know):

# Save all save files (*.srm) to this directory. This includes related files like .bsv, .rtc, .psrm, etc …
    # This will be overridden by explicit command line options.
    savefile_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/saves

# Save all save states (*.state) to this directory.
    # This will be overridden by explicit command line options.
    savestate_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/saves

The message I get when I try to load a save state is :

Failed to load state from “/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes/Contra.state”.

As you can see, it is still trying to find the save state file in the default location, but it is unable since I moved them all over to /home/pi/RetroPie/saves. I suspect that if I copied the save file and pasted it back in the default location it would work fine. Does it not allow roms and save files to be stored in different folders?

Floob

I just gave this a go on a clean build of 3.2.1 and it seems to work fine.

Here is my retroarch.cfg – I have changed the paths to match yours but thats it.
    http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=m8svaJGH

Here is the output to show permissions.

pi@retropie ~/RetroPie $ ls -lah
    total 24K
    drwxr-xr-x  6 pi pi 4.0K Nov  9 02:01 .
    drwxr-xr-x  6 pi pi 4.0K Nov  1 16:46 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  4 pi pi 4.0K Oct 28 22:01 BIOS
    drwxr-xr-x  2 pi pi 4.0K Oct  6 15:10 retropiemenu
    drwxr-xr-x 47 pi pi 4.0K Oct  6 15:09 roms
    drwxr-xr-x  2 pi pi 4.0K Nov  9 02:02 saves

Have you overridden it in the system retroarch.cfg or perhaps you created the saves folder as root?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay so I started over with a backup and was able to change the save directory to a new raspberry pi folder. However, once I turned that new folder to a network folder on my windows computer, it gave me the same error messages as before. Were you able to make it work with a network folder on another computer? What does your /etc/fstab file look like?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone have an idea? I am surely not the first person to try this.

Floob

Does user “pi” have write access to the mounted dir? What happens if you SSH in and create a file in that location?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I thought so, but I could be wrong. I am only able to modify the etc/fstab file with root status, so I don’t know if that is messing things up.

oleguer
    Participant

I think atimmins you need have root permisions for save and load try this…. edit the fstab on etc/fstab Only add this
    If you try to move to one internal partition:
    /dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 auto,users,rw,uid=pi,gid=pi 0 1
    The partition of memory Mount Point Format Permisions (I dont know really)
    When you use usb stick mounted:
    UUID=1ADF-0D47 /mnt/usb1 vfat auto,users,rw,uid=pi,gid=pi 0 0
    My usb stick Mount Point Format Permisions (I dont know really)
    The “only” think you need is take the root permisions for pi default user This is work for me…. You try! And lucky! Thanks and sorry for bad english ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have given up on this. It was a nice idea but I can’t make it work. I can successfully mount a windows folder and I can add files to the windows side and see them show up on the pi and add files on the pi and see them show up on windows, but RetroPie seems to have a problem moving the save locations to a network folder. I can move the save location to another folder on the sd card fine, but if I try to move it to a different computer on the network it defaults back to the original save location and won’t look in the network folder despite changes to the opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg file.

Perhaps this is something that can be ironed out for future versions of RetroPie.

oleguer
    Participant

You can! Try using WINSCP to acess to raspberry pi files if you can use wifi….or use the terminal (connect keyboard to usb port and press F4 to open terminal) and edit them with sudo nano /etc/fstab add the permisions to fstab and lucky!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.