Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I haven’t been too successful getting the arcade versions of Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 to run properly (and maybe they never will) so I thought I’d see if anyone else has achieved better results. I find that lr-mame2003 runs the games the best in terms of speed, but they both have sound issues.

For one the sound is super low by default so it must be turned up in the service menu. This has to be done each time you launch the game since lr-mame2003 won’t save nvram settings. Then once you have the sound turned up there is quite a bit of distortion and crackling. Gameplay runs at feel speed though.

So has anyone had better success and if so what is your config?

shoothere
    Participant

First things first (I have not tried any of your setup so!):

Did you overclock your Pi?

dankcushions
    Participant

that’s about as good as it’s going to get. there’s a MK2/MK3 speed hack in the RGUI core options, but it didn’t give a noticeable improvement to me. these games are just too demanding for the pi. you’re better off running console versions (PS1 has MK trilogy)

zerojay
    Participant

Make sure you do not turn the volume up to 100% in the Midway games or you will definitely get crackling. Keep it to 80-90% at most.

mikeveli20
    Participant

@shoothere: Pi is already overclocked

@dankcushions
    : I noticed that hack in the RGUI menu as well. It was enabled by default for me.

@zerojay
    : This worked perfectly. Crackle is pretty much gone when volume is set to around 80% in the service menu. Now if only there was a way to get these volume settings to save so they don’t have to be adjusted each time…

Edit: So I’ve come up with a temporary solution to fix the low audio. I’ve added the line audio_volume = “25.000000” to the retroarch config for MK2 and MK3. This raises it to a level which is about equal to the default of most other games on my system.

Games are now fully playable. If/when support is added to libretro-mame to save nvram settings then the audio can just be adjusted there, but this works in the meantime and avoids having to adjust the audio manually each time.

nosedeath
    Participant

I run all my MK with lr-mame4all. Works perfect, sound and all. Only problem I’m having is mapping the keys. That I can’t figure out.

mikeveli20
    Participant

@nosedeath: They work with normal sound by default, meaning you don’t have to turn it up in the service menu? When I tried MK2 and MK3 on lr-mame4all the sound was low on both.

nosedeath
    Participant

No I didn’t have to do anything with the sound. It seemed fine. I’ll run it again when I get home and double check for ya.

dankcushions
    Participant

just tried mk2 and 3 in lr-imame4all – both have occasional distortion for me. happens a few screens into the intro for me on 2, for example. can’t access service menu (what button?), and RGUI audio volume option doesn’t seem to do anything. it’s strange – doesn’t seems consistent like the audio is clipping, just just occasionally for no real reason.

repeated the experiment in lr-mame2003. mk2 seems perfect (no distortion or slowdown), and same story with mk3, i’m sure both of these games had slowdown/distortion last time i tested! but yeah, ok :)

bizarrely, mk1 does have sound issues on lr-mame2003 for me, though. it’s a lot louder thank 2/3, but it has almost constant distortion. tab gets to service menu but i don’t see any audio options.

mikeveli20
    Participant

I use mame4all for MK1 and it’s the best I’ve found. Sound is set to normal volume by default and it plays perfectly with no noticeable slow downs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.