Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    danny197
    Participant

Hi,

Could someone please explain to me what memory split means? I don’t understand what the memory is actually being split with.

Also what should I be using on the new Raspberry Pi 2? I read somewhere that I could use a 50/50 split. Does this mean I should use 512?

Thanks.

Mutex
    Participant

The raspberry pi has 256/512/1024 MB of RAM. That RAM is split between your CPU und the graphics chip. So a 128/128 split on a rpiA means that 128 mb of your RAM are reserved for your graphics chip. Some applications need a minimum amount of ram reservered for your cpu/gpu.

What you should use depends on what you want to do with your pi. In Retropie you normally don’t need a 50/50 split on a rpi2. The biggest consumer for your gpu is emulationstation which needs atleast 256 mb of gpu-ram. Most emulators are more cpu heavy than gpu heavy, so having more ram for your cpu is good. The default mem-split set in the retroarch setup script is 384 mb for your gpu, which is plenty enough.

danny197
    Participant

Thank you very much, I have a better understanding now.

emexrulsier
    Participant

Is it worth giving more memory to the CPU before performing any large scrapes?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.