Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie Mega Drive\Genesis Side Pillarboxs + PSD

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LodanZark
    Participant

Objective
    – create pillarbox’s that doesn’t require mapping the custom_viewport
    – share the PSD to help community doing their own

Overview
    overview

Download
    There are pillarboxs images with and without scanlines, plus the PSD file can found here:
    click here

johno
    Participant

Awesome work.

Any chance you can do some for the following please?

Atari

Nintendo

PlayStation

NeoGeo

LodanZark
    Participant

yes I’m working on that ;)

dustloop
    Participant

Hey Lodan, noticing alot of your work on here and its fantastic. How are you creating those borders?

Taking a screenshot then pulling it off the pi onto computer then going from there or another method?

wowzer22
    Participant

These are FANTASTIC! Just out of curiosity, how does one implement these? Can they be set as defaults per console so that newer consoles are widescreen but these appear whenever the aspect ratio for a game is 4:3?

LodanZark
    Participant

Not all platforms has same resolution, sometimes depends of the game for example sega master system has games with different resolutions, those pillarboxes overlays has 1080p of resolution and were made for widescreens monitors in mind, the idea of those images its make it easy to apply without require to mapping the custom viewport.

currently I am busy with exam season on university, soon as I finish those exams, I will complete my collection of overlays and pillarboxs of the majority of platforms and share it with community.

Floob

@LodanZark That would be great if they were all in one package. If you want I’m more than happy to add them to the video manager tool I manage if you want others to apply them without having to manually edit files:
    https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager

LodanZark
    Participant

Well since I have more free time atm, I decided make a few more pillarbox’s, check the dropbox link(https://www.dropbox.com/home/RetroPie_Sharing/md_pillarboxs) for further updates, I guess I’m going to start doing some pillarbox’s for NES now

LodanZark
    Participant

NEW UPDATE:
    -Added new pillarbox’s
    -Fixed the scanlines version
    -Added grid and grill versions
    -Updated the PSD, with extra filters in case you aren’t satisfied with already exported PNG’s or if you wanna change the opacity of the filters

missposhosho
    Participant

Hi,

This is my first post and I’ve had a good look around before posting and cant find the answers anywhere.

I wanted to add overlays like yours in retro pi on a per console basis. However I have no idea how to add a overlay in retro pie. Please could you help…

LodanZark
    Participant

hellow!

I recommend to use the WinSCP (https://winscp.net/eng/download.php) and putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) to manage and edit files on RPi.

You can watch this tutorial to set up winscp and putty:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyNii3UcHPw

After that you manage to go this folder: /opt/retropie/configs/
    you can find a lot of folders inside, each one has a retroarch.cfg that has all settings.

The file /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg has the that configurations affects all platforms, but if you wanna change the specific platform for example megadrive, you need to edit the file /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/retroarch.cfg

The easy way:
    Download the files I put into dropbox (except psd file) and put them inside this folder “/opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/”
    and edit the file “/opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/retroarch.cfg”
    and add this code line #include = "/opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/megadrive_video_settings.cfg"
    right before the line #include = "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"

Inside of pillarbox folder you can find out each overlay followed with a specific cfg file, to choose the specific overlay you need to edit the file “megadrive_video_settings.cfg” and edit the line input_overlay = /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/pillarbox/sega_scanlines.cfg to point it out the location of the wanted overlay.

To make your own Overlays:
    download the PSD file (requires photoshop to open it), which as all mesures and indications to make your own, including the “filters” alike scanlines and such, all you have to do is import the images that you want and cut them next the guides, and export it as PNG file to maintain the opacity.

that PSD file works for CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, NeoGeo, PSX, NES, SNES, MegaDrive, PCEngine, yet some other platforms has different resolutions alike some arcade machines and MasterSystem and so on.

Each overlay must be followed with their own .cfg file, those files must contain:

overlays = 1

overlay0_overlay = overlay_name.png

overlay0_full_screen = true

overlay0_descs = 0

after that you need to edit the specific retroarch.cfg of the wanted platform and add the lines:

input_overlay_enable = true
    input_overlay_opacity = 1.0
    input_overlay_scale = 1.0
    input_overlay = /path/to/the/overlay_name.cfg

Any question feel free to ask

missposhosho
    Participant

Thank you! Really helpful. I will let you know how I get on!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.