Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Bit of a massive aside here.

Has anyone had any luck mapping more than two USB controllers to buttons in dosbox? I’ve been trying for a while and can get input from the first two controllers but not controllers 3&4. Have been editing the map file manually for these as cannot connect enough devices to do it while extra controllers are connected.

It’d be nice to know if this is a limitation, or if I’m entering syntax wrong.

Cheers everyone!

MRKane
    Participant

Well, after a fair bit of searching I’ve found the mapping details on github that tend to suggest that only two virtual joysticks can be mapped using Dosbox. I guess that answers that – still I’ll try with the USB hub and hope I’m reading this wrong. Failing that: is there more than a couple four player games that would make me digging into this worthwhile?

redhalo
    Participant

What are you trying to play? It’s been my understanding that actual DOS has never supported more than two controllers.

MRKane
    Participant

I’ve been trying to get Micro Machines 2 going. It won’t emulate on Snes9x so I can’t play 4 player there, and all other emulators for the platforms it’s on won’t handle multitaps etc. the DOS version has the option of playing 4 people with two on keyboard, and while DosBox has a fantastic controller to keyboard mapping system the controller input that runs it just isn’t setup to receive input from more than two USB controllers.

It seems obvious enough to patch in the files but I just don’t have the raw skill/confidence to do it yet, and even if I did it’s a very rare case for extended functionality :)

dudleydes
    Participant

Is this post useful for enabling multi tap for SNES?

https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/multi-tap-support/#post-95739

MRKane
    Participant

Actually I updated to RetroPie 3.1 last night and the emulation issues I was getting on the SNES seem to have been resolved, but thank you for helping out!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.