Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    monkey-tamer
    Participant

I used this tutorial to add arcade controls to my pi:
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=83317&p=589292#p589292

I have everything running in emulationstation, but still have to utilize a keyboard for the escape key. I’d like to map this to a button, or two buttons pressed together, like start and select at the same time. Can anyone please explain how to accomplish this?

Model B
    Retropie 2.3
    mk_arcade_joystick_rpi
    Sanwa buttons and stick

Arnaud

Hi,

Are you using retroarch (i.e. NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari,…) emulators ?

If yo you need to edit your retroarch.cfg file in /opt/retropie/configs/all.

You need to map a button for the hotkey, i.e. you will have to press this first to trigger the special key mode such as exit, save state and load state.

input_enable_hotkey_btn = your joypad key

then you need to map the actual escape button

input_exit_emulator_btn

There are many posts on this in the forum

monkey-tamer
    Participant

Thanks. That pointed me in the right direction. Got it working now. I was using the wrong search terms.

monkey-tamer
    Participant

Works for nes, snes, etc. For some reason it doesn’t work in MAME. I have those buttons set as coin and start in that program. Maybe I need another button to assign coin.

Arnaud

Hi, I’m glad it worked for you.

For Mame it’s normal, it doens’t come under the retroarch umbrella. If you use Mame4All you press the TAb key and a menu pops up where you can assign a key. However, there is no “hotkey” therefore you need to use a specific button to exit the emulator that won’t be used for anything else.

vasilisrk
    Participant

hi!
    I have a little problem and i can’t fix it but it seems soooo easy:
    in mame menu (tab) i set by mistake the select button to ‘none’. How can i reset it?

Floob

You can click ‘Enter’ and it should ask you to re-enter the key(s) that you want to use. Basic guide is here:

vasilisrk
    Participant

Hi, tanks for your reply but my problem is that I set the enter button to none, so I can’t enter the menu…. I can press tab, opens the menu and I can’t go farther

Floob

Maybe you could try deleting this file?
    /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/cfg/default.cfg

Or try using mine (in the zip)?

I think thats the one that stored the data for keys.

vasilisrk
    Participant

Ok… I waste hours and hours…
    Thanks A LOT! So simple if you know…

Thank you again…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.