Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    lamaman1971
    Participant

Hi, I have to confess Im struggling with the latest edition of Mame4All – since the last update its really not cooperating with me. The ROMS have just stopped working (which previously worked) and my IPAC controller isnt mapped anymore (and for the life of me I cant see why). The other mame editions, while hit and miss, are pretty much the same. Anyone else having similar issues?

lamaman1971
    Participant

To clarify, the other mame emulators work ok!

dankcushions
    Participant

there are 2 mame4all emualtors – lr-imame4all, and mame4all-pi. they both have very different configuration – which one are you using? how did you configure it before?

lamaman1971
    Participant

Well, ive been trying to use mame4all-pi. I have a complete compatible romset but when I select a rom, rather than either loading up or dropping out with the old missing files error screen, the game appears to be loading up on then bins me back out into the menu system again, no errors or anything. Really odd.

dankcushions
    Participant

strange! if it’s binning you straight back you can sometimes find an error message in the tmp/runcommand.log file – is there anything there?

lamaman1971
    Participant

Nah, I cant find any evidence of a runcommand.log file on my PI – so I can only assume one has never been written. Im starting to think about writing a new SD card from afresh of the latest RetroPie image and testing again – which is a pain in the backside to be honest….microsoft fix I know, but there is little information or diagnostic data available to make an informed decision on this.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Where did you look for the runcommand.log file ? did you check /tmp/runcommand.log ?

(Need to check this right after it fails – don’t reboot)

epe9686518
    Participant

You can always do a reinstall of the app it self, in this case Mame4all, that is usually the fastest way to fix something

lamaman1971
    Participant

Below is the content of my runcommand.log file :

ALSA lib pcm.c:7431:(snd_pcm_set_params) Rate doesn’t match (requested 44100Hz, get 0Hz)
    /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh: line 704: 2451 Segmentation fault /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/mame $

so it looks like my USB audio “fix” may have screwed up Mame4All…meh

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    and changing this : #options snd-usb-audio index=-2 to options snd-usb-audio index=0

Anyone seen this before?

epe9686518
    Participant

Not I, but given your Segmentation fault and other errors the quickest way to fix mame is to simply reinstall it from the setup menu….You will have to reconfigure the controls, which will take just a few min, but that should have you up and running in no time… If you still have this problem then it will be time to dig deeper…

petrockblog
    Keymaster

re-installing it wont fix it if the problems are due to his alsa changes. But you should change the config back to test if that fixes it.

epe9686518
    Participant

Correct but I am thinking there is something else going on here…Obviously if he made changes to something before Mame stopped working then you should undo those right away and test that first..If not I would try reinstalling Mame, that would right away tell you if the problem was within mame it self, or related to something else on the system, which could point your attention in another direction.

lamaman1971
    Participant

Ok Gents, heres the plan for the weekend :

1. Reset the ALSA changes and see if Mame springs back to life – if it does then Ill try troubleshoot it. However, im not spending too much time on a $20 USB soundbar – Ill replace it with a regular speaker if I need to.

2. If it doesn’t work Ill reload Mame4All – any tips on how to do that discretely?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

menu 5 of retropie-setup – you might want to backup/ remove the configs first so you get the defaults (/opt/retropie/configs/mame-mame4all or so)

lamaman1971
    Participant

Ok, so removed the ASLA config and disconnected the USB Speaker. MAME4All starts working again and my roms spring back to life – as the other emulators seemed to work ok within the RetroPie environment I can only assume this is a “feature” of MAME4All. Hope this thread is useful is someone else is having similar issues – plus, if anyone has a resolution to this let me know!

Thanks everyone in this thread for the help and advice,

Ciao

Mark

epe9686518
    Participant

Cheers, glad you were able to figure it out! Thats pretty surpising to me that a audio config file for a usb speaker would some how cause Mame4All to completely stop working like that while not effecting any other emulators. But thankfully it was a quick fix!

lamaman1971
    Participant

Yeah! well, it will do for now. My USB speaker bar fits great into my bartop too – so if anyone has a fix for it Id be glad to hear about it. However, I can get my mame fix for now at least!

dankcushions
    Participant

perhaps you could try lr-imame4all? it uses the same romset and should perform about the same, but is retroarch so may use a different audio interface (not sure).

and if you don’t mind using a different romset, the newer mame2003 emulator has been great for me, and may work for you.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.