Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie Mame4All Random Resolutions

• This topic has 8 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    phrazelle
    Participant

I know there are a few topics on this, but I haven’t found a solution.

I am having trouble forcing resolution in Mame4All. Everything works, there are just varying resolutions – some almost take up the full screen, some live in a crunched window.

What I’ve tried:

• Changing the line in es_systems.cfg to read different numbers than 0 (tried 1-4. This is weird because all are 0 and when I do a CEA list from the terminal with /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA it says there are no available modes)

• Resolution forced in Mame4All’s retroarch.cfg file with video_fullscreen_x = 1280 video_fullscreen_y = 1084

• Resolution forced in config.txt with framebuffer_width=1280 framebuffer_height=1024

All other systems work fine with the retroarch.cfg file forcing the resolution of the system and ES looks fine with the config.txt forcing. Just the Mame roms not forcing properly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Try to edit aspect_ratio_index in your retroarch.cfg, “0” forces 4:3 aspect ratio, it will do the trick for games with strange resolutions.

phrazelle
    Participant

No dice. Also tried the following to no avail:

video_aspect_ratio = 1.333333
    video_aspect_ratio_auto = false

phrazelle
    Participant

What throws me off a bit is while a rom is loading, it throws up gfx_width = XXX and gfx_height = XXX. It seems to be adhering to those dimensions, but I can’t change them anywhere.

Altering the resolution from the menu screen (x or m when launching) doesn’t have any affect either.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have no idea why it won’t work.
    Are you sure your default mame emulator is mame4all-libretro core?

phrazelle
    Participant

Yeah, in the menu screen (x or m when launching) it is set to lr-mame4all and the render resolution is (currently) set to “use config file res.”

phrazelle
    Participant

Update – when switching to mame4all as the default emulator (non-libretro core,) the resolution issues are fixed, but the joystick config isn’t being honored (not usable at all) so I will be digging on how to add the joystick config to the standard mame4all cfg file.

I really liked the nice, neat cfg setup with the lib core, so I would still be interested in hearing a solution to the issue.

phrazelle
    Participant

Last post here and I’ll call it resolved. Running through the non-libretro core fixed the resolution issues as stated.

USB controller configuration was set within the emulator itself. While a rom is running, press TAB on a keyboard to get to the in-emulator menu and you can set global properties from there. The exit emulator hotkey is labeled “UI Cancel” if anyone is wondering. All of my buttons were identified without any additional configuration.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is weird…
    Performance with mame4all binary is slightly better, but if you play games like caveman ninja or nba jam, aspect ratio is not 4:3 and it is quite annoying.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.