Viewing 7 posts - 36 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey Roo, thanks for the assist.. the last part I need is an auto log in.. It stops at the login prompt, and when I put in the user name and password it then goes to MAME.. How do I get it to skip prompting me for that?

Roo
    Participant
    killer101
    Participant

I don’t know for sure, but I think the samples can be also put directly into the zipfile of the game. If I remember it correctly, I’ve done so with dkong.

Roo
    Participant

It might work, but why? MAME is designed to have separate samples in a separate sample folder… I don’t see any advantage to trying to trick MAME

stardust4ever
    Participant

Hey. Sorry for the bump, but I recently built my Porta-Pi bartop arcade using this custom built image for the Porta Pi:
    http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/porta-pi-arcade-help/porta-pi-software-os-download/

Mine is the v4.5 download with Retro Pie 2.3 built in as it comes with Raspbian which is 100% necessary for me as I generally loathe command line stuff.

/opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame.cfg

has the improperly formatted samples directory. I changed

rompath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame
    samplepath=samples

into

rompath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame
    samplepath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-samples

and it was a life saver. I want to say thank you for the help.

While we are on the topic, can anyone tell me how to reduce the audio lag? There is nearly an entire second of lag between the onscreen action and the sound effects. 3 or 4 frames is fine but at half a second or more in MAME, it can be a bit disconcerting at times.

raoulangel
    Participant

As far as the lag, I notice it with sub-B+ models. Anything A, A+ or B has terrible lag. Configuration of the system and overclocking seems to be more successful with the B+ and Pi 2 B models..

stardust4ever
    Participant

Only the audio lags noticeably in MAME. If it was video too, the games would be unplayable. I’m running the Raspberry Pi 2 @1.0Ghz basic overclock setting.

It can get rather annoying to say see my ship blow up and then hear the explosion effect. Same with bullets, running or jumping in Donkey Kong, eating ghosts/fruit as Pacman, etc. Do pretty much action with an associated sound effect, and there’s a noticable delay between the the video and audio.

The console emulators do have global settings to adjust the audio latency. I whittled it down from the default 64ms to 40ms without issue. 36ms makes the games stutter. MAME needs it’s own configuration separate from Emulatrion Station and I don’t see any setting to adjust the audio latency which is noticeably huge (0.5-1 seconds) and affects all games. Somebody also suggested to change the sample rate to 44100Hz. I don’t know where this setting is located or which file to edit.

I should probably start a new thread for the audio latency issues… :p

Viewing 7 posts - 36 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.