Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    curtinmartis
    Participant

Apologies if this isn’t the appropriate place for this sort of thing. I searched a lot and couldn’t find a great answer for this, and was hoping some of the fine folks here may be able to give some insight.

I’m considering buying a Pi 2 to drive a MAME cabinet. I currently use RetroPie on a Pi Model B, and it works great for older games but some newer games have a lot of slowdown. In particular, NBA Jam/NBA Jam TE are too slow on the Pi 1.

Could someone out there test NBA Jam running in MAME (not SNES) on a Pi 2 and tell me if it runs at full speed? I’d rather not buy a Pi 2 if it won’t be able to run that sufficiently. If anyone can help me out on this I’d really appreciate it!

cacophony555
    Participant

It’s not a game I’m familiar with but I just tried it on my Pi 2 in mame4all-pi and it seemed to run great. Didn’t notice any slowdowns or issues.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It runs almost full speed on mame libretro core (52 FPS), i haven’t tried other mame emulators though.

curtinmartis
    Participant

Thanks for responding! In my experience, mame4all is quite a bit faster than the Retroarch core, so this sounds promising. I am curious though, are either of you overclocking, and if so what is your overclock setting? I’m only planning on a modest overclock if necessary. I don’t really want to have to deal with adding a cooling solution to the Pi.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is only one overclock setting for rpi2 ;)

curtinmartis
    Participant

Ah, well that settles that then!

davejaca
    Participant

YouTube is a bit slow processing today but I made a quick vid to show you how it runs. Raspberry Pi 2, Mame4All, running Pi2 overclock which is only a modest overclock (100Mhz). Check back at this link it should be up anytime now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feEF4RHFkok
    *edit* It does seem to run quite well, and please excuse my appalling skills.

curtinmartis
    Participant

Wow, thanks Dave! A video is exactly what I needed. It’s still processing, but in the meantime I did take the opportunity to watch some of your other Pi videos. Neo Geo games running at full speed is a definite plus to the Pi 2.

davejaca
    Participant

NeoGeo does run surprisingly well! Video should be up now, and glad I could help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=91004]Thanks for responding! In my experience, mame4all is quite a bit faster than the Retroarch core, so this sounds promising. [/quote]
    You were right, NBA jams plays perfectly on mame4all, retroarch has sound issues.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.