Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mac2298
    Participant

Ok, I want to start off by apologizing and making clear that I am a huge noob. I just got my Pi a little less than 3 months ago, and haven’t used it as much as I would have liked. So far, I’ve just set up some Dos Games and I want to get some MAME games on it. I downloaded some roms, put them in the mame folder, and each game appears twice in emulation station. One copy of the game looks like this:._Pacman and the other looks like this: Pacman. I click on them, and the one with the ._ in front sends me to the terminal, gives a quick message about MAME, and goes back to ES. If I click the other version, it gives me a message exactly like so:

035145:02 FILE NOT FOUND
    035145:02 FILE NOT FOUND
    ERROR: required files are missing, the g
    ame cannot be run.

Complete with the g in game being cut off. Exactly the message I get. I’m assuming that the rom I found must be corrupt or something, but 5/7 of the games I downloaded give similar messages. One of the other games just sends me back to ES after briefly displaying the terminal, while the other one actually works. I’m a bit lost at this point… why is the one game working? Are all the others corrupt? They came off of a website where they were popular downloads and no one else reported problems, so I can’t imagine that’s the issue. Is there an extra step that I’m just missing? Thanks for your help and patience!

Floob

Many MAME games are variants of the parent rom. Hence you may need multiple roms to run one version of the game.

For example, this game: http://www.mamedb.com/game/fireshrkd
    needs a parent rom of fireshrk.zip

To be safe, if you install the full romset it should work.
    A popular (good compatibility with mame4all-pi) romset version is 0.37b5

mac2298
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! I’ve seen some stuff about romsets, but never really knew what they were (I gathered they were rom packages, but I wasn’t sure if that was compatible with RetroPie or not). I also saw some stuff about parent roms, but for the most part the roms I have didn’t say they needed it. I’ll go back to the website where I found them and take another look. Thanks again!

mac2298
    Participant

Update

So, I’m still not entirely sure what the romset version is. Is it a file I can download, or are mame roms just a particular romset version and I have to make sure that they’re this .37b5 version? Also, I downloaded a parent rom for one of my games, pacman, and put the zipped file into the mame section, just like I would do for any other game. Neither game worked. The same thing happened. Can anyone give me a bit more specifics on how to run mame games? Thanks for all your help.

Floob

The easiest way is to get the whole set. So for example, I’m sure there would be a torrent or nzb file that contains all 2,000+ zip files. It should be about 2GB.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.