Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie lr-mame2010 Per Game Video Configuration

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rawlangs
    Participant

Hi all, first time poster. I’ve searched for an answer and nothing has helped yet.

I’m trying to play startrek.zip using lr-mame2010. The game loads rotated 90 degrees clockwise. I can solve this by going into the lr-mame2010 settings and manually setting a 90 degree rotation, but I can’t save that setting (so it loads in the correct orientation next time).

I can successfully save a .cfg file, but I can’t figure out how to set that .cfg as a custom config for startrek.

I tried renaming the custom config “startrek.cfg” and placing it in ~/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/ as per instructions I found on reddit, but it had no effect.

Any suggestions?

dankcushions
    Participant

I think it needs to be startrek.zip.cfg, and stored in the same dir as the rom

rawlangs
    Participant

[quote=117973]I think it needs to be startrek.zip.cfg, and stored in the same dir as the rom

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, dankcushions. I just tried this and did a full restart before trying it out.

I can now see and edit the custom retroarch config in the retroarch menu. The custom config includes “video_rotation = “1””, which I think should force the game to load in the correct orientation.

Unfortunately, when I launch the game, it still loads in the same horizontal orientation. When I check the log, lr-mame2010 still outputs “Rotation: 0”.

I went back into the lr-mame2010 main menu, and under “Load Configuration” it lists “retroarch.cfg” not “startrek.cfg.zip”.

Any more suggestions?

dankcushions
    Participant

looking at the help:

# Allows libretro cores to set rotation modes.
    # Setting this to false will honor, but ignore this request.
    # This is useful for vertically oriented content where one manually rotates the monitor.
    # video_allow_rotate = true

# Forces a certain rotation of the screen.
    # The rotation is added to rotations which the libretro core sets (see video_allow_rotate).
    # The angle is <value> * 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
    # video_rotation = 0

seems like you need
    video_allow_rotate = “true”
    video_rotation = “1”

i think you should add a setting to your custom cfg that you know works and has an obvious effect to test, rather than something new. i’m not sure which cfg will appear under ‘load config’ as your retroarch is actually referencing 3 .cfg files in your scenario (/all/retroarch.cfg, /[core]/retroarch.cfg and /roms/[core]/game.zip.cfg, with each one overriding the previous)

Floob

Yes, itss pretty much as dankcushions has said.
    Here is a video to show the principle of just making the config change you need and how to save it.

rawlangs
    Participant

[quote=117991]looking at the help:

# Allows libretro cores to set rotation modes.
    # Setting this to false will honor, but ignore this request.
    # This is useful for vertically oriented content where one manually rotates the monitor.
    # video_allow_rotate = true

# Forces a certain rotation of the screen.
    # The rotation is added to rotations which the libretro core sets (see video_allow_rotate).
    # The angle is <value> * 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
    # video_rotation = 0

seems like you need
    video_allow_rotate = “true”
    video_rotation = “1”

i think you should add a setting to your custom cfg that you know works and has an obvious effect to test, rather than something new. i’m not sure which cfg will appear under ‘load config’ as your retroarch is actually referencing 3 .cfg files in your scenario (/all/retroarch.cfg, /[core]/retroarch.cfg and /roms/[core]/game.zip.cfg, with each one overriding the previous)

[/quote]

[quote=118044]Yes, itss pretty much as dankcushions has said.
    Here is a video to show the principle of just making the config change you need and how to save it.

<span class=”embed-youtube” style=”text-align:center; display: block;”>

</span>

[/quote]

Thanks to the both of you.

I didn’t have a lot of time tonight, so the only thing I have tried so far was setting video_allow_rotate = “true” and video_rotation = “1”. Unfortunately, the game is still loading in a horizontal orientation.

I will try changing something obvious per dankcushions’ suggestion when I get a chance.

rawlangs
    Participant

OK, so I followed Floob’s video and created “startrek.zip.cfg” in the rompath. The file only contains two lines: video_allow_rotate = “true” and video_rotation = “1”.

This config file does not work in lr-mame2010, but works as expected in lr-mame2003. Unfortunately, lr-mame2003 does not emulate the sound in startrek.zip, so this is not a solution for me.

startrek.zip runs in the proper orientation in lr-mame2003 (as in, doesn’t need a custom config), but there is no sound. If I run the game in lr-mame2003 using startrek.zip.cfg, the game is rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees.

In other words, the config file works as expected in lr-mame2003, but not in lr-mame2010, so I suspect this is a bug in lr-mame2010 (or at least the build I am using).

In the meantime, I am able to manually rotate star trek when I want to play it.

Should I report this as a bug?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.