Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Location of emulation station source files?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kenjay
    Participant

Dear all:

I installed emulation station and all the emulators to my raspberry pi through the recommended binaries retropie script. Now I’m interested in playing around with emulation station’s gui by editing some of the source code.

After poking around on emulation station’s GitHub repository, I found these two files: Font.h and GuiMenu.cpp

I would like to make some changes to both of these files. Unfortunately, I could not find either of them on my pi. Does anybody know the path for the es-core directory, es-app directory, or either of these files?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

herbfargus

Yep the source is here:

https://github.com/retropie/EmulationStation

From what I understand the only way to change the GUI (not necessarily the themes as those files can be modified through retropie in ~/.emulation station) is to fork the source, change the source code, and recompile.

kenjay
    Participant

Thank you for your response!

My next question:
    Once emulation station has been installed, is it impossible to edit it’s source code? I’ve already done a lot of customization and it would be a pain to have to reinstall it with the edits…

herbfargus

If you’re referring to theme customisations (which I’m guessing you’ve done) you can always back up the theme folder so even if you did recompile emulationstation you could just copy the theme folder back and retain your changes. And yes- you cannot modify the source code once its been compiled.

kenjay
    Participant

Great, thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.