Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    buzzertnl
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    Does anyone got Killer Instinct (arcade version) working on the retropi?
    I can’t find a 37b5 version of the game and other versions don’t work. Is it possible to get it running somehow? I am not asking for a working rom (forum rules) but I would like to know if its possible? And in what direction to look for a solution.
    Many thanks in advance 

proxycell
    Participant

hi, i have a list, just a text file, of all the 37b5 games and it isn’t on it. i’m sure that you’re aware that the version of MAME that is included with retropie is supposedly “only good” for 37b5

have you tried FBA? i got a few “mame” games to work in that too. i ended up splitting the games between FBA and mame depending on which one works “best”

buzzertnl
    Participant

Thank you for your reply!

I will try FBA, do i need to do something with bios or something? I heard that that is needed in FBA.

proxycell
    Participant

thats only for neogeo games being used in FBA, they require the neogeo bios

spot
    Participant

Proxycell is correct, Mame 37 beta 5 doesn’t support a Killer Instinct Rom. SNES has a Killer Instinct port that not too bad, but not as great as the arcade version. It does satisfy my KI fix though!

nosedeath
    Participant

So there’s no Killer Instinct for the RPi then… Damn! I love that game. I guess I’ll just stick with SNES port.

epe9686518
    Participant

What would be nice is if they ported the Killer Instinct stand alone emulator that they had out for PC about 15 years ago. That emu only played KI 1 and 2, but played them perfectly at full speed. Those are two of my favorite games of all time so would be nice to get those on the pi. Hardware wise they would run fine if they ported that, they ported a version to the hacked original Xbox 1 and it ran fine on there, specially KI 1, 2 had a little bit of slow down but Pi 2s hardware is vastly more powerful than original xbox how ever.

dustloop
    Participant

Sorry to change the course of this thread in a way. I have compiled a full FBA set compatible with FBA in retropie and I’m wondering if it’s possible to tell some roms to use MAME instead of moving and splitting files etc.

Example is Mikie. This has graphical glitches all over running on FBA but I have a feeling will work ok on MAME. Is there a way for me to add emulators to the FBA list so I can try a version of mame?

epe9686518
    Participant

I am pretty sure that is not possible unless they did something like what they did with the N64 plugins for the mupen64plus. They way I have my arcade systems setup in ES is by splitting them into groups.

I have the “NeoGeo” Arcade system in ES, that of course has all of the Neo Geo arcade games. I also did a custom “Capcom” arcade system in ES, with a custom Capcom graphic that also uses PiFBA, but only has all of the capcom pifba games in it. Then I run two different mames and have two different ES entries for those as well.

This works great for me, as it splits the arcade games into basically capcom games, neogeo games, and then everything else.. Might want to try something like that

prican25
    Participant

Hi,
    Since retropie was recently updated to include mame 0.78, it does have more games to offer which includes KI 1&2 but not sure if there is a way to run CHD games like KI or how well it can run on the RP2. It would be nice if someone can port the U64 emulator for KI 1&2 as it should run best with RPI2.

epe9686518
    Participant

While you can play CHD files in mame on PI, none on the versions of mame will play KI or KI 2…Mame is designed to emulator the original hardware as accurately as possible, not as fast as possible, which is why even very old simple games sometimes struggle on it. PI doesn’t have enough power to run Mame at a fast enough speed to make up for its design with CHD games. Only hope is for someone to port the standalone KI emu.

nosedeath
    Participant

Please make it so!

dgtliqd
    Participant

I’ve gotten lr-fba-next to load the rom, but it doesn’t detect the image file (see my screenshot). Maybe I’m doing something wrong and someone with a little more knowledge knows what the issue is. I tried lr-fba-next because I came across a link online that had a compatibility list of games for the PC version of FBANext and KI/KI2 were listed.

epe9686518
    Participant

I have tried a bunch of different ways to get FBA next to load the Chd file but am not sure how FBA NEXT handles chd files. Mine can’t find the chd either.. Anyone know how to load CHD file based games in FBA Next?

nosedeath
    Participant

Please someone have an answer…This is my favorite game ever!

dgtliqd
    Participant

For anyone else trying to troubleshoot, here’s the error message from the console when you exit (select+start) the emulator after the setup menu (in my previous screenshot):

kinst: DrvInit
    kinst: loading image at kinst2.img
    kinst: harddisk image not found!kinst: DrvExit

I’ve tried creating a ‘kinst2’ folder in the pifba roms folder and placing different image file variations (kinst2.chd, kinst2.img, etc) in the folder. I’ve also tried placing the image files directly in the pifba roms folder. I’ve even tried zipping the rom and image files together with no luck.

I should also note that when the setup menu comes up, moving the controller and pressing buttons does nothing. I assume it because this menu was navigated using actual, physical switches in the arcade cabinet.

dgtliqd
    Participant

Did some more testing with lr-mame2003 and lr-mame2010 as well and I get through the screens where mame asks you to move the joystick left/right and I get the message:

One or more ROMs/CHDs for this game are incorrect. The game may not run correctly.

When I move the joystick left/right again, the screen flashes and the game fails to load and generates the info in the screenshot.

epe9686518
    Participant

it sounds like you have the incorrect romset version for KI for those versions of mame. I have gotten KI 1 to fully boot in mame before, so it does “work” though its at such a slow speed it’s completely unplayable…

dgtliqd
    Participant

I figured as much. I’ve tried multiple sets, but haven’t found the correct one for lr-mame2003/10, yet.

yfdtsrer
    Participant

SNES has a casesam.co.uk Killer Instinct port that not too bad, but not as great as the arcade version.

shades42
    Participant

FWIW, I was able to Killer Instinct up and running in AdvanceMAME but as stated by epe9686518 is is unplayably slow. you could almost have a power nap ( ok maybe not that bad ). I just wanted to try to figure out how to get it to run.

Thank to this thread

advMAME 106 CHD games?

I have spent countless hours trying to get it to load in any of the FBA options but I never seem to get it to work.

I tried using CHDman program to convert my chd into a raw image file as the error as dgtliqd showed it is looking for .img file.

I also went and checked out Rom Hacks WIP thread over at FBA

http://neosource.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?topic=2666.0

and somewhere in the posts it states he was using a raw image file, don’t know if that means it is the same for the FBA.

Anyhoo thought I would share what info I had.

shades42
    Participant

PS.

If someone does figure out how to get it to load in any of the FBA options, please let me know. I don’t care if it isn’t playable, I just want to know what I was doing wrong.

I go a little nutty not being able to figure something out, once I start trying to do something lol

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.