Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hulkhaugen
    Participant

I’ve recently discovered RetroPie, and was blown away when i realized how great it was. I also read somewhere that it’s best to compile myself to, but it takes a lot of time. I hardly have any Linux knowledge, but i’m starting to understand it. So, if i’m not mistaking, i can run some apt get commands to keep it up-to-date. so, which?

If i understand correctly, RetroPie is the name of this distribution, which basically is a pile of programs set up to work together. libretro is the backend that operates the emulators, such as mame. RetroArch is a frontend(?) that handles the controllers inputs. And EmulationStation is also a frontend, but this is the GUI, the launcher if you will. It seems a bit complicated to me, why isn’t just libretro and RetroArch the same thing? This probably sounds stupid to you who knows the answer… :P

I’ll be back for some finetuning questions later, unless google answers me ;)

karloss
    Participant

do all updates via the retropie script

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_setup.sh (i think)

then you can do a “source” upgrade, in there you can select what you want to update, as well as keeping the underlying os upto date

gizmo98
    Participant

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo git pull (get the newest retropie sources)
    sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.