Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quick summary: I want to have a keyboardless retro game console controlled by my Wii remote (original Wii, has MotionPlus, not using Classic controller). After following the setup guides here and on GitHub (they’re the same) my Bluetooth dongle refuses to pair (or even blink) at EmulationStation startup. I’m looking for help from people using the same setup as me, or those who may know more about why I am experiencing this problem.

Hello,

I am using a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with “Modest” overclocking and latest versions of wminput, Raspbian, RetroPie, and EmulationStation. My goal is to have an HDMI-connected just-for-fun retro gaming console, all controlled by my Wiimote. Thus lies my problem: although I can sync my Wiimote to wminput as a mouse device AFTER closing ES and using “startx”, it fails to sync at startup. Glancing at the console screen before ES boots up, I see my Bluetooth adapter connecting just fine. I can even use it to scan. However it simply will not pair to my Wiimote in time for ES to use it as a controller.

My problem has stumped me and has left me scouring the Internet for any pieces of advice that can help. I’ve heard that removing the “:” from the wiimote.rules file can help, but I can’t imagine that solving everything. And yes, before anyone asks, the Wiimote is a genuine Nintendo device.

I’d appreciate any help whatsoever. If you know of a secret file I have to modify, or if you want to basically outline everything that needs to be modified, I’d appreciate it. Millions of pokemon depend on you!

Thanks for reading/helping!

EDIT (3/22/15): Upon using the longer attachwii.sh script (the one that requires a Wiimote reconfiguration each startup), I am able to successfully pair a Wiimote to my Pi. However, my problem now is that the Pi doesn’t seem to “hold on” to the Wiimote. What I mean is, although I get a success message my Wiimote’s lights still continue flashing and provide zero input to EmulationStation. Any fixes for this are appreciated!

firebreath15
    Participant

By using the longer, dirtier script, I can recognize a wiimote before ES starts. Now, my problem is that the Pi isn’t “holding on” to the remote. The wiimote continues to blink even after the “scan complete” message, and is still unresponsive on ES.

yayiguess
    Participant

Having the same problem. Have a fix yet?

firebreath15
    Participant

Not yet- Like I said, I can “almost” connect to the wiimote by using the longer attachwii.sh script, but at the time of starting EmulationStation nothing happens. I imagine it has something to do with the wiimote itself or the Bluetooth adapter.

Have you tried unpairing the remote from your Wii console? If not, try it and tell me if you have any luck ;)

yayiguess
    Participant

Nope, and my Bluetooth receiver is supported out of the box with the RPi and it connects to my WiiMote+CC perfectly through Dolphin.

firebreath15
    Participant

Unpairing from the Wii still doesn’t work. Which means, even an unused Wiimote can’t connect. Is this a permission problem, perhaps? Maybe a script is being blocked due to insufficient permissions.

What do you (or anyone reading this) have in your /etc/profile file? What about the /etc/rc.local? /etc/udev/rules.d/wiimote.rules? /etc/cwiid? I’m wondering if I made a mistake in one of these files.

yayiguess
    Participant

I’ve got a *somewhat* working solution. Use the long script where you need to register the remote every time you start emulationstation, and modify the wiimote.rules file and erase the section for the Wiimote D-Pad (or the classic D-Pad if you plan to use the Wiimote and not the CC), this fixes the axis problem, however, this only working inside of emulationstation for me and didn’t continue working after I loaded a ROM.

firebreath15
    Participant

You modified the wiimote.rules or the wminput file? Because I already have my wminput set to JUST the Wiimote (not Classic).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.