Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Is there a Dummy Guide for Splash Screens

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dalehitchy
    Participant

I’ve tried changing it, looked at the forums and videos online and I’ve given up. Maybe its something simple but I cant seem to do it.

I can change the default ones on there, but I don’t know how to change it to a custom one I have made.

Can anyone give me a stupid guide. I would be very grateful. Ideally, I would like it to be a video, however if thats to difficult to explain a standard image will suffice.

Thanks in advance

dalehitchy
    Participant

ok… i was using the kodi / retropie boot and some of the scripts must have changed as it would not work.

i reinstalled using just the retropie image… expanded the file system and managed to change the splashscreen to an image.

does anyone know how to change it to a video though?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you have to manually edit /etc/splashscreen.list and put the path to the video there.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

actually, you may just be able to put the video in a subfolder in ~/RetroPie/splashscreens/ and it may show up in the retropie-setup splashscreen config

herbfargus

It does. I’ve tested it. Either you can manually define the location in splashscreen.list or you can choose it from a folder that you’ve created in ~/RetroPie/splashscreens/ you’ll select the new folder from the second option of the splashscreen menu in the setup script.

dalehitchy
    Participant

hi buzz

the picture worked but the video did not…

The Video Folder showed up (i labelled it videotest) and when i clicked on ‘manually edit the splashscreen list’ it showed /splashscreens/videotest/videotest.mov

…but the file did not play. Is there any extra steps i have missed, anything else i need to install… or any particular format the video should be?

herbfargus

You’ll want to make sure you update your setup script and depending on the length of your video if you want it to play all the way through you’ll want to re-enable the emulationstation autostart behaviour from the setup script as that adds a small script that tells the video to play all the way through before emulationstation loads up.

dalehitchy
    Participant

hmmmm sorry its still not working for me….

it just goes straight to emulationstation screen. after selecting my video file i went to ‘update retro-pie startup script’ … rebooted and nothing

dalehitchy
    Participant

ok i just changed the file type (it was on .mov) to an mp4 and it worked

could have also been the file size as it was 80mb as an mov file… 10mb when i reencoded it to mp4

herbfargus

Yeah omxplayer is a bit picky when it comes to codecs. I typically stick with h.264 .mp4 files. Glad you got it sorted. I’ll probably create a wiki page on it once the next release comes out.

dalehitchy
    Participant

One more thing…. the video runs full length (i re-enabled the emulationstation autostart) but after the video it goes to the bios code then to the emulation station splash screen.

Ive seen other videos where after the video it goes straight to the emulation splash screen. Ive edited my video so it blends nicely with that splash screen. how do i set this up?

herbfargus

in /etc/profile.d/10-emulationstation.sh

remove this line while pgrep omxplayer &>/dev/null; do sleep 1; done

dalehitchy
    Participant

I removed this line and it cut my video short.

herbfargus

That’s what you requested. Your video has to be timed exactly if you don’t want emulationstation cutting it off.

dalehitchy
    Participant

ah ok i didnt know it would needed to be timed exactly. thanks for all your help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.