Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Is the raspberry pi 2 fast enough for Metal Slug via neogeo emo?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jasonts
    Participant

I wan’t to build an arcade cabinet for my new apartment. So far I made a prototype using an old raspberry pi b and retropi just works fine along with my gpio based joystick.

Unfortunately sometimes metal slug slows down a bit when there is a lot of stuff flying over the screen.

I already overclocked it to maximum.

Is the raspberry pi 2b fast enough to play it without any slowdown?

I know it has more cores, but is the retropi software made to use them effectively? Or do you recommend a platform with more power?

It’s really important to me to have no slowdown whatsoever because it just gives the feeling of not being the real thing.

Please only answer this if you have Metal Slug up and running. Estimations won’t help me here.

Thank you for your time and help.

Floob

Yes, slows down for me on a Pi B as well, although is better under gngeo than fba-libretro.
    I havent tried it on mame4all, but should be better under that.
    Which emulator are you using?

epe9686518
    Participant

All Metal Slugs run 100% fine on PiFBA, aside from Metal Slug 2, but that has nothing to do with the Pi or the EMU, that one had slow down in the arcade as well which is why they released Metal Slug X which is 2, but with the fixed slow down.

There might be a little slow down here and there, but they are all fully playable and work great on the pi. And again, keep in mind, even in the arcades these had some slow down.

jasonts
    Participant

So will I get a noticeable performance boost from the pi2 or not when compared to the old b+ model?

epe9686518
    Participant

It should be very noticeable, but I never had the older pi models so not sure. All I can tell you is I play all the neogeo and capcom games a lot, and they all run great on the Pi 2.

charco
    Participant

Actually, I found out recently on the Libretro forum that you can resolve the Metal Slug 2 speed issues if you use the lr-fba core, go into Core Options, and change the overclock settings to 200. It works perfectly this way, better than on a real Neo Geo!

epe9686518
    Participant

That doesn’t “fix” the speed issue really. It speeds up the game beyond what is normal. The issue with ms 2 is with the original hardware and how they coded the game to use it. Even on a high end PC the game will have slow down, as this is something that is part of the game and not caused by bad emulation. Metal Slug X is the rerelease of 2 with all of the speed issues fixed. I would recommend playing that instead of over clocking the system for one game and possibly making it unstable.

charco
    Participant

I know all that.

jasonts
    Participant

Thank you for your advice. I will try another metal slug version with the emulator that you recommended. than I’ll see if the B+ can handle it.

Until now I tried the “Metal Slug 2 : Super Vehicle-001 “.

jasonts
    Participant

I think the ROM I had was already MSX. Now I finally found out how to change the emulater. So I chose lr-fba. But now performance is worse than before. The slowdown now affects the music wich it didn’t before and it occurs more often. :(

mattdx
    Participant

If you’re looking to play the Slugs perfectly and can afford it then upgrade to the new PI2. It makes such a difference to some of the more requirement hungry games (NBA JAM, MK etc) and all of the NEO GEO stuff runs perfectly. I made the upgrade myself and it was 30 bucks well spent!

charco
    Participant

I would say upgrade to a Pi2.

dankcushions
    Participant

[quote=103048]I think the ROM I had was already MSX. Now I finally found out how to change the emulater. So I chose lr-fba. But now performance is worse than before. The slowdown now affects the music wich it didn’t before and it occurs more often. :(

[/quote]

try the pifba emulator. it’s faster than lr-fba/gngeo, although lacks retroarch features.

also, you say you’ve overclocked to the ‘maximum’ – is it stable? if the pi is struggling for volts or temperature, you’ll see a flashing graphic in the corner and it downclocks briefly, slowing everything down (not sure about for volts – it might just crash!)

epe9686518
    Participant

Again, you want to use PiFBA as your emulator, not the lr core, its the best for not only NeoGeo games, but I run all of my Capcom arcade games off of it as well. It runs the games 100%. This is with a pi 2 though, if your having proformace issues and are still on a pi 1, thats why……

nugg
    Participant

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you play the games on real hardware, there still is slowdown in some parts. It was built into the game to help the player survive tough parts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.