Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Is it necessary to run the update if you are installing from the latest image?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    footwo
    Participant

I am using the latest 3.0 BETA 2 image for a Pi2.

After I burn the image, boot up, do initial raspi-config setup such as expanding the file system etc, do I need to run the binary update from within the retropie setup script?

I’m having some trouble with retroarch and controller configs so I’m wondering if I need to update, or should the image as it is be sufficient?

Thanks.

Floob

No need to update if you are using the image, you could but I wouldnt say it would benefit you really.

What problem are you having with the controller configs?

footwo
    Participant

Hey! Thanks for replying. Good to know about the update!

Wrt retroarch, it just doesn’t seem to work. I’ve tried with a generic snes USB pad, and only the d-pad, SELECT, START, A & B work. X, Y & shoulder buttons dont. I’ve also tried a ps3 controller wired and that just goes haywire.

Both these pads are detected just fine in jstest so I know they work on the pi. Apparently the stock configs that come with the image are causing problems:

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/795

So I’m going to try a fresh install, then delete all the configs, then run retroarch setup.

Thing is, I’m building this as a birthday present for my niece and I want her to be able to use the right pads for the right systems, or as far as possible anyway. I’m thinking a snes pad would work fine for the 8bit and 16bit consoles (as well as atari, c64 etc) whilst a ps3 controller would suit other systems with more elaborate controllers.

Is that possible? To configure retroarch as the master controller to use a ps3 pad, but then override individual emulators (nes/snes/megadrive etc) to use the generic snes style pad?

Retroarchs configs are all over the place and I find it a bit confusing :D

Floob

If you are using a standard gamepad try this:

sudo rm /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/Retrolink_USB_SEGA_Saturn_Classic_Controller.cfg

It will remove a potential duplication issue in that file.

footwo
    Participant

I’ll give it a go, thanks.

So is it possible to specify separate controllers on a per-emulator basis?

Floob

You can do it on a per system basis with the retroarch.cfg files here:
    /opt/retropie/configs/{systemname}/retroarch.cfg

footwo
    Participant

Ah right, so those configs will pertain to individual systems. It’s probably a good idea to tailor each one then I’d imagine.

If the config file that’s created by the retroarch setup ends up as

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/SonyPLAYSTATION(R)3Controller.cfg

and that is used in the event you run an emulator that you haven’t explicitly overridden (by a retroarch.cfg in their respective folders), then what do these files do?

/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/retroarch.cfg
    retroarch-core-options.cfg

Sorry to bombard you with questions :p

I’ve just hit up your youtube channel btw, gonna check out these how-tos!

Floob

Watch the very boring one here, as that talks about paths and configs.

footwo
    Participant

Sweet, thanks again man!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.