Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Invalid permissions on bash scripts on 3.0 beta?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    redhalo
    Participant

I have a problem where all bash scripts such as for ports and the SCUMMVM gui tell me I don’t have proper permissions when ran. I have since tried chmod 777ing them and still nothing. I have even deleted the scripts and reinstalled them through the setup script. Is this a known bug or am I missing something.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

no known bug – They have the correct permissions here, so it must be something you have changed or something specific to your set up.

redhalo
    Participant

Further testing, complete wipe and reinstall, I found that the scripts just don’t work if they are on an external hdd with the roms folders symlinked in place of the default rom folder. Same scripts, same permissions as the default install.

Can anyone else with an external hdd symlinked confirm? Or perhaps any ideas?

redhalo
    Participant

Found the problem. Following a post by user dplcc68, I found out that Retropie does not give exec privileges to mounted drives. Solved it by issuing a “sudo mount -o remount rw,exec,users,auto /media/usb”. I’m going to add a bug report to git.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

We don’t permanently mount usb drives by default do we ? the usbromservice mounts and syncs roms, but to mount permanently you need to add an entry yourself to fstab right ? unless I’ve missed something ?

redhalo
    Participant

No fstab entries. Just delete the default rom folder, plug in a usb external hdd, and symlink the rom folder from the hard drive to where the old folder was as outlined here: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/usb-rom-storage-curiosity/#post-88737

There’s no need to permanently mount it, as long as it’s plugged in it’s mounted and the roms are pointed to the right place.

I have 45gb of roms at the moment with more expected to be added, and would rather not have to readd them or keep a backup elsewhere for if/when I wipe the sd card for future Retropie images. Also, no microsd card on the planet can hold all of the Playstation One images. A potential side effect is the external hdd is faster than the microsd, but I couldn’t tell you if it has made a difference.

When I was searching for how to keep my roms on the hdd, it seemed to be fairly commonplace.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.