Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Image won't fit on same size card

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hellokevin11
    Participant

I used Win32DiskImager to make an image of my SD card, and when I go to write the image to a new card it tells me it’s too small a card. Both cards were 32Gb

Is this down to variations in the media, or is it the image?

Anonymous
    Inactive

SD cards have rarely exactly the same size, but when you make a backup, the backup includes the free space. There are tutorials where you can kill the free space and than backup. Sorry for my bad English

Floob
    hellokevin11
    Participant

[quote=109635]This guide should help
    http://smartretro.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58

[/quote]

Thank you for your help, everyone.

chito
    Participant

this seems like a very complicated way. Is there a better way to partition?
    maybe on a mac or on the raspberry itself before creating the image?

how is this done for retropie?

I was was over ambitious and used an sd card that was way to big for my needs. I want to down size if possible

retroresolution
    Participant

Just to cover all possibilities, I’ll note that there are a great many fake sd cards out there – the actual storage space and the reported storage space do not match (e.g. a 32GB card is actually an 8gb card with the header information altered to report the larger size).
    It’s most likely the issue is due to the overhead on the image, which I’ve seen before, but it’s worth eliminating the slight chance the new card isn’t all it seems to be.

chito
    Participant

sounds like even more reason to ensure backup imgs are as small as possible.

but there really doesnt seem to be a straightforward way of doing this.

so far the easiest way ive found is to download and install virtual box (mac & pc) runing a linux virtual machine.
    then repatriation the sd card to smaller size.
    then create the img

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have ran into the same problem. I use 16 and 32 GB cards in my projects, but now I create my images using an 8GB card which I then create a backup image. I can then copy this image to the larger cards. Never have an issue with the size issue this way.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.