Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project I am unable to exit back to the home screen (emulation station) while in a game?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mediumblock
    Participant

I’ve been going through alot of threads on the internet in order to find out how to bind the select and start button to be able exit a ROM, however all of them require me to edit and add lines to the retroarch.cfg file, only problem is I can’t find it anywhere! it’s not where any of the guides say it’s meant to be and I have enabled hidden files / folders.

I am using retropie with emulation station I followed the guide as found on this website http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

I am thinking that perhaps what I downloaded was a slightly modified version.

And help on the matter will be greatly appreciated!

peter

hi mediumblock,

read my posts in this thread:

Speed-link Competition Pro USB joystick HELP

mediumblock
    Participant

Hey, thanks for the very quick reply

I have been trying to follow the steps from the link you gave me which goes to this website https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/updated-for-2-3-step-by-step-guide/

I am on step 10 which tells me to put these following commands in

cd /opt/retropie/configs/all/
    vi retroarch.cfg

this works perfectly great, however, unfortunately I am very new to raspberry pi, so when I input the following two lines at the bottom

input_enable_hotkey_btn = “8”
    input_exit_emulator_btn = “9”

I run into two issues, the first issue is I am unable to make the ” symbol (when I hold shift and the button for ” it turns it into an @ sign), also I am unable to make the # symbol.

second issue is that I have no idea how to save the file when I have input the lines (I know how to exit it without saving which is :q!)

sorry for the nooby questions.

Thanks.

Mike

use xstart from command line to boot up raspbian front end, then open a terminal window (under start menu-ish thing you’ll find xterm or lxterm, either is fine) run gksudo leafpad and copy and paste the correct punctuation. gotta do gksudo for proper permissions.

peter

mediumblock, I think you got me wrong. read only what I (peter) posted and ignore the posts by other users. if you feel bored, you may read the entire thread, but only do what I posted: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/speed-link-competition-pro-usb-joystick-help/

I pretty much explained to the thread opener, how to configure the joypad, how to quit emulation and save/load.

mediumblock
    Participant

Hey peter, when I try the commands listed it doesn’t work

for cd home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/
    it says no such file or directory

for /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    it says permission denied

when I do manage to edit retroarch.cfg how do I save my changes? what commands do I use to save the file so I can successfully exit? furthermore how do I do the correct punctuation?

mediumblock
    Participant

ok I managed to figure out how to do the correct punctuation using trial and error, still have no idea how to save changes to the retroarch.cfg file

peter

what kind of retropie distribution do you use?

for cd home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/
    it says no such file or directory

are you sure sure you typed it the same way I wrote it (with the caps, etc.)? linux is case sensitive!

as for saving, try CTRL + O and CTRL + X to quit(?), but it will not work if you have no permission. I edit the retroarch.cfg over WinSCP on my Windows pc

you can also try this:
    in the console type startx – this will boot up a front end. from here you can open some kind of file/directory explorer (like windows explorer) as well as some Terminals where you can type into the console. in the explorer check whethere you really dont have the home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/

in the console try
    sudo chown -R pi /opt/retropie/
    and
    sudo chgrp -R pi /opt/retropie/
    to change the owner and group rights for the directory “retopie” (and its subdirectories and files). now the user pi should be able to edit and save changes in all files within this directory.
    if you still can’t edit the retropie.cfg try
    sudo chmod 660 /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

I’m not sure if either of what I posted works but you can give it a try

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.