Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project How to start a particular game instead of EmulationStation?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I have my RetroPie running and it works flawlessly. Now I would like to make one little tweak so that:

a. The Pi launches into PacMan on bootup
    b. The user can still esc out of the game and get back to EmulationStation

I’m a bit of a Linux noob so I’ve tried a few different approaches that did not work. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just Pi’d a Jr. Pac-Man cab. I wouldn’t mind having it boot straight to Jr. Pac.

Right now it boots to the Emulation List screen. MAME is the only one on it. so you have to click it to get to the short list of game’s I’ve got. it’d also be ok if it at least booted past that MAME screen. Just show me the games. anyone know a way to do that?

kiwijam777
    Participant

Here is the code for launching to MAME emulator only:
    1. from command line type:
    sudo nano /etc/rc.local
    2. add the following text to the bottom:
    sudo /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame
    3. Save the file and reboot.

I looked all over for this answer and most of the things I found were out of date, so specific folders or files were not where the forums directed. I got it to work for MAME using the code above; it puts the script for launching MAME emulator from command line into the rc.local file. I dont think each emulator launches the same way, so you may want to search for the code to launch whatever emulator you choose from command line, and put that into the rc.local file.

This will bypass emulation station going straight to the emulator. If i press esc on my keyboard (or the equivalent mapped button press for controllers) I can still get back to emulation station (if I really want to). That way I can still take advantage of the awesomeness of ES and all the ROM/controller/button configurations, or F4 to access command line.

If you want to launch to a single game, I think you just have to list the ROM file aafter the emulator command:

sudo /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame ROMFILENAME

Anonymous
    Inactive

OMFG!! You did it! :-) Thank you thank you thank you!

I have been wanting to do this since I first built my cab.

For others who are wanting to do this as well, I want to clarify that ROMFILENAME is just the name of the rom file without the extension. For example, this is what I have in my rc.local file:

/opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame pacman

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.