Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I chose to use gnGeoPi to play Neo Geo games because that emulator supports saving games. When I try to start a game it asks, of course, to insert a coin to play a game. None of the keys on my game pad work as insert coin, nor do any of the keys on my keyboard.

How do I start a game in gnGeoPi?

(additionally: how can I choose between Neo Geo’s arcade and home modes just like in Mame and how (if possible) do I save a game in PiFBA?)

Floob

This shows how to get gnGeo working. It also shows how to access the unibios so you can change between arcade and home modes. I dont think its possible to save in PiFBA, but you can in any of the Retroarch cores.

meneerjansen
    Participant

Thanks for the video.

My Pi did not have a gngeorc file in the ~/pi/.gngeo/ dir (which is actually a symlink to /opt/retropie/configs/neogeo). I created gngeorc in the mentionend dir and filled it w/ these settings:

p1control A=J0B0,B=J0B1,C=J0B2,D=J0B3,START=J0B9,COIN=J0B8,UP=J0a1,DOWN=J0a1,LEFT=J0A0,RIGHT=J0A0,MENU=J0B7

(see this link for an example gngeorc file)

And now it works. One can switch to “home mode” instead of arcade mode (the game then lets you save games on an emulated memory card then). By adding the following line to said file:

# system type? arcade or home
    system home

[edit] If I choose Home Mode then some graphics are garbled…

meneerjansen
    Participant

After you a try to play a new game for the first time then all settings in the gngeorc file will be removed except for the comments. I do not know if gngeo, RetroPi or Emulationstation (or retroarch? what actually is is retroarch?) does this. The following line is also added to gngeorc:

rompath /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/neogeo

Seems to me to be a bug.

Floob

I think that is related to gngeorc – now you mention it, I may have had that issue once or twice, but I think it was relates to in-game changes I made, it seemed to sort itself out if I didnt alter the config. I didnt think just starting a new game did that though.
    I suppose you could make the changes you want, then change the permission on the file so it cant be overwritten.

meneerjansen
    Participant

P.S. The official way, I found out, to configure which emulator to use for which game etc. is by pressing the A button on a rom (i.e. to start it) and then to press any key on the keyboard, or to move the joysick around when the game/emulator starts. You then access the Roncommand Menu (see: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/runcommand).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.