Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I coded and set up my teensy to work as a HID device it works in windows but it wont in retro pie, it has 9 buttons and one joystick. How do I get it working?
    Thank You

Roo
    Participant

What have you tried in RetroPie?

Does it show up when you type lsusb ?

For example, I get

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 413c:2107 Dell Computer Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04d8:f673 Microchip Technology, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 045e:0719 Microsoft Corp. Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter

Device 1, 2 and 3 are the USB controller on the Pi itself. 4 is a keyboard, 5 is a WiFi adapter. 6 is a custom device similar to how a Teensy should show up.

If you see the Teensy there, you can get further info with sudo lsusb -D /dev/bus/usb/001/006

If it is recognized by raspbian, it will show up under ls /dev/input as js[x]. If you see it there, try jstest /dev/input/js0, do you see the controls recognized?

zombusterftw
    Participant

When I boot up into emulation station it will let me hold a button to start configuring but after that it wont let me input anything. When I tried the lsusb command the teensy showed up as number 6 and my wifi adapter showrd as number 5. I couldnt get the second command to work it just listed how to type with -d and other letters. The third command ls /dev/input showed a js0 and the last command made numbers and letters move down the screen really fast but whenever I pressed a button they stopped moving for a split second.

Roo
    Participant

are you running jstest /dev/input/js0 from the console (not an ssh session)?

it should show the recognized axes and buttons for that device and monitor for any joystick movement / button presses until you break out of it (ctrl-c).

then you can move the sticks and press the buttons to ensure everything is working. Until you can verify the OS can see the Teensy properly with jstest, there’s no sense in going further.

zombusterftw
    Participant

It was a bad mini usb cable,I now have the controls set for emulation station but do you know how to set them in the games?

Roo
    Participant

This should get you up and running

zombusterftw
    Participant

Thanks dude you are a life saver!

Roo
    Participant

Happy I could help :)

vang1
    Participant

Hello. i just built a gamepad with teensy 2.0. works perfec under windows, but will not be detected under retropi. cant find /dev/input/js0 :(

can only find “Standard Microsystems Corp.”
    but not Device 006: ID 04d8:f673 Microchip Technology, Inc.

have i done anything wrong ? is there a driver i should load ?

vang1
    Participant

got it detected now when i make it as a serial/keyboad/mouse/joystick, but after it got detected and i going to setup the keys it does nothing, cant select the up key or nothing,. but its detecting as a teensy joystick……

zombusterftw
    Participant

Hmm maybe try a fresh install of retro pie? or try a new USB cable? Thats what worked for me also code it as a usb HID device and check your aruduino software settings.

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Hi I’ve also made a Teensy Gamepad for my portable rpi.
    It has a bunch of tactile switches and one analog joystick.
    It all works perfectly fine on my Mac, but when I try to configure it in Retropie, Left and Up does not work on the analog joystick??
    I have no idea why, the joystick is just a regular X, Y axis one.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

deepdivered
    Participant

any examples of projects with the teensy working. debating doing this rather then just hooking up to the gpio’s

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Ben Heck Show did one

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.