Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    hadibus
    Participant

Hi I’m new to retropie and linux in general.

I would like to edit the retropie.cfg file in order to add a button to exit emulators but i have some questions.

1) which retroarch.cfg file must I edit?

when I type sudo find / -name retroarch.cfg it lists 19 different file paths files on my sd card where a file named retroarch.cfg exists

2) How do i edit retroarch.cfg?

Is there a command that I must use to open and edit it? I’m trying really hard to find it using google but I can’t

3) Can I edit retroarch.cfg using the desktop?

I’ve tried this method by typing startx and then navigating to a retroarch.cfg. I open it up with a text editor but I am not permitted to overwrite the file.

I believe after knowing those things i can figure out the rest. I’m really interested in this.

Thank you!

lunarkingdom
    Participant

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

save by using control and x, then y for yes, then enter for filename (make sure you don’t accidentally hit a key and mess it up)

Mike

If you have a linux OS you can use gksudo to load up a text editor with root permission for editing the file. In Ubuntu it’s gksudo gedit. The right one to edit in retropie 2.3 is under (off the top of my head, probably slightly wrong)

opt/retropie/configs/all

Mike

oh yeah, from raspbian it’s probably

gksudo leafpad

hadibus
    Participant

Awesome! Thank you for the quick responses. Worked great

Daniel

I also am trying to change the retroarch.cfg file but I can’t find it.

My “Configs” doesn’t have an “All” folder

Here are the directions I followed,

“First, click on the LXDE menu in the bottom left (What would be your “start” menu if this was windows), and then select “Accessories” and then “File Manager” – This is your file explorer. Open the folder “Retro Pie” and then open “configs” and then open “all””

I can get into the folder but I have two options once in “configs”

2. “roms”
    2. “BIOS”

borlandoflorida
    Participant

[quote=46143]I also am trying to change the retroarch.cfg file but I can’t find it.

My “Configs” doesn’t have an “All” folder

Here are the directions I followed,

“First, click on the LXDE menu in the bottom left (What would be your “start” menu if this was windows), and then select “Accessories” and then “File Manager” – This is your file explorer. Open the folder “Retro Pie” and then open “configs” and then open “all””

I can get into the folder but I have two options once in “configs”

2. “roms”
    2. “BIOS”
    [/quote]

As per your new post, have you tried looking in the Retropie-Setup folder instead? They should be in there…

Donovan

Hey guys!

I used the RetroPie v2.3 image installation method, but I’m having some problems.

Everything boots up fine, and I’m able to run my roms with the USB controller of my choice. However, I’ve had no luck changing any of the config options with the retroarch.cfg file that exists at
    /opt/retropie/configs/all

I can only use my keyboard as a controller and to exit games – savestate, speed up, rewind, etc. etc. don’t work – why is this? Is this the wrong .cfg file to edit?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi.

Same problem as Donovan, except I don’t even have a CONFIGS folder at all!

I have been fiddling with this on and off all day. According to a search, there is no “retroarch.cfg” file anywhere on the drive. And yet I was able to setup the “register retroarch” setting and play games in the emulators using my controller.

How can this be?

Yobacon

Guys,

Had the same problems finding my retroarch.cfg file. I was able to locate by dropping down a directory. At your prompt drop down a directory
    cd /
    After that I was able to drill down and find my retroarch.cfg file.
    In my case is was in /opt/retropie/configs/all

shywolf28

Easiest way to do it is using winscp on your windows computer and logging through there as ..just drop a level and u will see it

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.