Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project How do I stop Retropie from looking for some gamelist.xml files?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    emoni
    Participant

So, when I exit emulation station, which starts by default, I notice a long list of “could not find gamelist” exceptions for the directories that I deleted and those that I don’t use. I wonder if this is causing some stuttering with the sound, but either way I would like to stop the Pi from even trying to find those files.

What config would I go into to tell it not to even look for those gamelist files. (Of course I still want it to look for the SNES and other files that I DO have installed, just trying to reduce and simplify.)

Thank you all!

taalas
    Participant

Just wondering what you were trying to achieve with deleting those folders (which folders exactly?). The ROM folders are chosen as such that Emulationstation will only show the corresponding emulator if roms are present in that folder. What are you trying to do exactly?

Mutex
    Participant

You can copy the es_systems.cfg in /etc/emulationstation/ to ~/.emulationstation.

Then you can edit the es_systems.cfg in your home folder and remove all the emulators you don’t need (additionally you can change the order of the systems shown by emulation station). If you want to be really thorough you can then remove all folders connected to the deleted systems in ~/.emulationstation/ (that’s where all the gamelist.xml files are)

emoni
    Participant

Was just trying to clean the file structure really :P Wasn’t realyl necessary to delete those directories I guess.

I guess the calls to those lists are in the es_systems.cfg?

taalas
    Participant

You don’t need to copy the es_systems.cfg to your home directory to edit it.

Emulationstation has a fixed number of places where it looks for the gamelist.xml files (one being the roms folder itself e.g.) In any case though you don’t really have to delete any folders. If all you would like to achieve is not seeing the systems in Emulationstation it suffices to not copy roms to the relevant ROMS directory. Some rare cases (e.g. the home computer emulators) will show in Emulationstation because they have a fake ROM file in the folder (most of the times called Start.txt, if you rename this to Start.dont it won’t show.

Again, what would you like to do? I am pretty sure you don’t actually need to delete anything.

gizmo98
    Participant

Try:
    Close EmulationStation with F4 and type…
    cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh resetromdirs

d8thstar
    Participant

i’ve been getting the same exact errors on start up and shut down. I can still play all my games but i think it may be slowing the initial load time and the shut down. here is a sample line of all the errors I get:

lvl0: Could not find <gameList> node in gamelist “/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/msx/gamelist.xml”!

that is just one line of many, each line lists a different emulator, the above max is just a sample.

i tried the below but my error doesn’t seem to be linked to the rom folders.

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh resetromdirs

any help is appreciated and thanks

EDIT: solved on my end. I just went into each folder in /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/ and deleted all gambits.xml files, all good now.

emoni
    Participant

_thanks all. I will try getting rid of the gamits.xml files

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.