Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I finally got uae4rpi to run from EmulationStation (awesome) but how do I change the controller inputs to not have to use the keyboard? Is it possible to jump into an emulator GUI like in retroarch to play around with the emulator settings?
    My dream scenario is to map some important keys and mouse button inputs to the 360 controller.

mccarthy
    Participant

Would you mind sharing your knowledge with us? I’ve realized that even with roms in the right directory I’m not able to start them within emustation…

Gesendet von meinem XT890 mit Tapatalk

retrofredde
    Participant

I have the roms in the RetroPie/roms/amiga directory, but you have to write a shell script to get them to boot from ES, I used the guide posted in this thread:

Then you get the regular file list menu in EmulationStation and the games boot right from there. Perfect! :)

But I would love it if I could exit the emulator with a button (or a button combo, tab+Q mapped to select+start for example) on the controller. My wish is to not have to use the keyboard at all. The C64 emulator have a virtual keyboard which I think work quite okay, and you can map keys to controller button like space, F3, Alt etc, keys that some games use, so with clever mapping you can lie down in the sofa playing Last Ninja. :)

mccarthy
    Participant

Aaaaahhh thank you ;)
    …regarding your problem, I think we need a python script which runs in the background and emulates keyboard-presses. So whenever you press start and select and uae4rpi is running, it presses tab+q…

retrofredde
    Participant

No probs :)

So then you could map any key press to any controller button? That would be great. Would it be difficult to write a script like that? Can’t say I know python, I haven’t wrote a single line python in my life. :P

But is there no settings/config file for the amiga emulator? I’ve searched all over the net and people talk about a GUI that should show up by writing ./uae -s use_gui=true (if I remember it correctly) but I haven’t got it to work with uae4rpi.
    Feels like I’m missing something. Shouldn’t be this hard to do some configurations.

mccarthy
    Participant

Mmhhh I remember that you get a gui when you start it manually from console without any flags…besides that I’ve realised a small script which should press alt+q whenever I push Start. It works via console because I see a tab-space followed by a “q”, but no sir within uae, maybe a “uinput” issue. Maybe you can go a little deeper on this. With uinput you are able to simulate key-combinations, there are moduls for C and Python as far as I know…

retrofredde
    Participant

It all sounds a bit too complicated for me I’m afraid :( I guess I have to hope I’m not the only one who wish to play Turrican for example – by booting from ES, playing and using smart bombs and grenade, and finally exit the emulator – all done from the controller.

I wish at least these keys were mapped to the controller
    Joystick fire – A (already there)
    Space – B (already there)
    Alt – Y (Turrican grenade)
    Left mouse button – left trigger (for load screens etc)
    Tab+Q – select+start (exit emulator)

Or a virtual keyboard and mouse pointer controlled by analog stick plus left/right triggers as left/right button.

mccarthy
    Participant

Sounds great, I think I’ll go a little deeper…I’ll let you if I make any progress ;)

mccarthy
    Participant

…have you tried this version, it boots right into a gui http://storyhub.actionaid.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5926&start=25

retrofredde
    Participant

Thanks mccarthy, I don’t know I have only tried the one preinstalled in RetroPie, don’t know what version it is actually, Sounds interesting though so I’ll try it out over the weekend. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi retrofredde, try it:
    While the Raspberry is powered off, plug in one of your USB controllers. You should also still have your keyboard plugged in.
    Power on your Raspberry by unplugging it, and then plugging it back in again.
    Your Pi should go through its regular startup, and launch EmulationStation.
    Before we can configure your controller for working with EmulationStation, we need to get rid of the .cfg file which currently should be telling ES to work with your keyboard. So from the EmulationStation main menu, press F4 to get back to your terminal.

cd .emulationstation
    sudo rm es_input.cfg

Note: If you want the ability to navigate the EmulationStation menu with more than one controller (2 Player), you should shut down your Raspberry Pi now, plug in your second controller, and then power it back on, and skip the next 2 lines.

cd
    emulationstation

Now, I can to navigate the emulator GUI with my pads.
    I hope it helps you.

retrofredde
    Participant

[quote=4934]…have you tried this version, it boots right into a gui http://storyhub.actionaid.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5926&start=25

[/quote]I tried that one yesterday, and…
    Wow at the speed! I’m running both Turrican and Turrican 2 in full speed, with sound, in this emulator. The titlescreen lags a bit but once the game is started it’s running great. The uae4rpi emulator that came with RetroPie 1.9.1 runs at about 40 or so fps.

But…
    There is always a but. I can’t boot the games from EmulationStation with uae4all-rpi, it boots directly to the GUI no matter what game I try to boot it with.

Does anyone know what parameter I should choose in uae4all-rpi to boot with a game instead of booting into the GUI?

I’ve tried
    ./uae4all-rpi -s floppy0=df0.adf
    ./uae4all-rpi -s gui_use=no

But it just goes into the GUI with no disk/adf loaded.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.