Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project how can you get video splash screen to play all the way to when ES is loaded

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    chito
    Participant

I created a video splash screen that i want to use instead of the retropie splash screen and the emulation station splash screen. currently it starts to load ES once the video is over

How can i get it to play while ES is loading in the background? ie when the video is over the user is ready to select a system

petrockblog
    Keymaster
    petrockblog
    Keymaster

Note that ES will appear over the video though (afair) and cut it off short but it will be seamless – it will load in background, but the ES “starting up” screen will not.

chito
    Participant

Ive read the wiki both solutions will still give me the ES splash screen with the words “loading…” the only difference is when my video stops.

Im trying to get my video to keep playing on top of that ES loading screen so that by the time its has finished I see the systems. is that possible?

something do with this maybe?
    do sleep 1

petrockblog
    Keymaster

as I said above, you can’t have ES start behind – well unless you disabled the loading screen on ES and have it init everything and then open the GUI. requires modifications of ES code.

petrockblog
    Keymaster
    chito
    Participant

its been done before

modify logo and menu emulationstation

I just dont know how to replicate this with how retropie does it now

chito
    Participant

its 3:20am here so after some trial and error ive worked it out

the following needs to be modified
    edit /etc/profile.d/10-emulationstation.sh as per wiki to boot ES seamless

#while pgrep omxplayer &>/dev/null; do sleep 1; done
    [ "<code>tty</code>" = "/dev/tty1" ] && emulationstation

edit /etc/init.d/asplashscreen
    find the line (should be line 21)
    omxplayer -b "$line"
    and update to
    omxplayer -b --layer 10000 "$line"

so now it plays right into ES. awesome

Theres another issue im hoping i could get some help with. so even before all this when my video starts to play it starts to play without sound. then a second in the sound starts to play… anyway to fix this?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Didn’t realise omxplayer now had a layer option. good spot. I will consider adding this so it stays in front.

chito
    Participant

works nice and clean. thanks to whoismezero for his solution.

any idea what could be causing the sound issue? takes about 1s to 1.5s for the sound to abruptly come in.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

maybe as it starts before ALSA is properly initialised or something.

herbfargus

Just for reference its been added to the source:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/pull/1099

Thanks for the tip.

chito
    Participant

Hello guys Ive just noticed something: when playing video of different aspect ratio, by default it letterboxes the video. the areas on the top and bottom that would normally be black are showing ES loading despite the -b on the command. what can be done?

maybe zoom (pan scan) it?
    [attachment file=”101217040853_67573.jpg”]

other solutions i found
    https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer/issues/22

this one relies on xterm
    http://pieter.blinkenshell.org/blog/?p=123

petrockblog
    Keymaster

When i tested it before it def made the background black – must be due to the layer change, in that ES is over the top of the black background, but under the video – maybe the black background is on a lower layer that isn’t configurable.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I think it is that – so you will need to zoom the video – but it’s an issue that could be reported back to omxplayer – perhaps to get it to use the same layer as the –layer parameter (or one less or something)

chito
    Participant

I thought the same thing. the background is under ES. as far as i can tell there is no options to pan-scan. do you think any of the solutions in the links from my last post could help? Im at work and cant test it. even if i could not 100% sure on what im doing lol but could give it a crack

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.