Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project How can I use core-specific button remapping for Retroarch emulators? 3.0 beta 2

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    paulieorf
    Participant

I am specifically trying to use the remap feature under core options in the NES emulator. I can remap them, but when I choose to save the remap file the screen just pops up a box that says ‘Remapping Filename’, and that’s it. Presseing any button on the controll or key on the keyboard does nothing. The screen is stuck and I’m forced to power cycle the Pi. I’ve tried this in other emulators with the remap feature and it acts the same way.

I understand that I can technically remap the Retroarch input buttons in the emulator’s specific config file, but I’d really like my input config setting to be universal, and only remap the ones I need using the remap feature.

I can find no information anywhere on how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mystblade
    Participant

When the Remapping Filename comes up it is asking for a name. And the only way I have been able to apply a name is with a keyboard. Also you should be able to just save it, without having to name it. The “SaveAs” feature is for the name of your choice.

paulieorf
    Participant

[quote=94802]When the Remapping Filename comes up it is asking for a name. And the only way I have been able to apply a name is with a keyboard. Also you should be able to just save it, without having to name it. The “SaveAs” feature is for the name of your choice.[/quote]

I’ve pressed every key on the keyboard and nothing happens.

Also there is no option to save the remap file other than the save as option. See the attached screenshot of the options I have. Am I looking in the wrong area?

paulieorf
    Participant

This boggles my mind. Does anyone know how to make core-specific remapping work?

I’m starting to think it’s a broken feature…

kadagan
    Participant

I have been searching the internet for the same thing! I noticed when playing FF7 on PSX that the buttons weren’t laid out the same on my xbox controller as they would be on a PSX controller, so I have to remap every time I play.. Any help on this would be great!!

Floob

If you want to change your controller button mapping in retroarch emulators you could tweak your .cfg in /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/

Or am I misunderstanding what you want?

kadagan
    Participant

Floob: Yes, you can do that.. And I’ll probably just end up changing the PSX ones there.. But from the retroarch emulator options menu that paulieorf showed a screenshot of above, there’s a choice to change the mappings from your controller to the PSX controller.. I am using a wireless Xbox 360 controller (retropie 3 beta 2), and the default mappings of the X, Y, A, and B buttons don’t match the layouts of the square, triangle, cross, and circle buttons (respectively) for a PSX controller.. I guess I could remap X <-> Y and A <-> B and things would work, but then the keys would be backwards in the retroarch menus.. So the ideal solution is for the mapping that’s allowed in the “options” section of the menu to save properly. It works fine to remap the buttons each time I load the emulator.

(note: I’m very sleep deprived today due to an erratic work schedule, so I really hope that what I wrote made sense!)

Thanks!

paulieorf
    Participant

This is exactly right. Remapping them in the config for the actual core can achieve the result of the buttons mapping correctly for game play, but outside of game play it makes navigating the Retroarch menu use different buttons than the other emulators. The fact that the core option for re-mapping buttons is there and works but doesn’t actually let you save is such a horrible tease!

Floob

Which NES emulator are you using? I’ll take a look later.

kadagan
    Participant

Floob:

paulieorf is using a NES emulator, but I’m having this issue with the default PSX emulator.

Thanks for your time!

paulieorf
    Participant

FCEUX and Nestopia. I believe the problem exists with every core which as the feature, though.

Floob

It looks like this may be slightly bugged in the existing retroarch version in RetroPie:
    https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/1593
    http://blog.andressm.org/new-retroarch-features-2/

You could do this with manual configs by the look of it (in first link above), but I’d be tempted to wait for an updated version.

In the short term you could remap per system as opposed to per core?

paulieorf
    Participant

That’s promising. Thanks for that.

I think I will wait until the next RetroPie release rather than messing around with workarounds.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.