Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I’m using original SNES + USB adapters on a Raspberry Pi Model B with version 3.0 of the RetroPie script. With the default install the resting position of the controller is off so I had to use the steps posted on here to recompile the kernel.

The d-pad and all the buttons on both controllers work as expected in Emulationstation and in all the emulators I’ve installed but I cannot get the hotkeys to work. Holding select and pressing start or any of the other triggers doesn’t do anything.

Here’s my controller config in /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs:

input_device = "USB,2-axis 8-button gamepad  "
    input_driver = "udev"
    input_b_btn = "1"
    input_y_btn = "3"
    input_select_btn = "6"
    input_start_btn = "7"
    input_up_axis = "-1"
    input_down_axis = "+1"
    input_left_axis = "-0"
    input_right_axis = "+0"
    input_a_btn = "0"
    input_x_btn = "2"
    input_l_btn = "4"
    input_r_btn = "5"
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = "6"
    input_exit_emulator_btn = "7"
    input_shader_next_btn = "5"
    input_shader_prev_btn = "4"
    # Saves state.
    input_save_state_btn = "3"
    # Loads state.
    input_load_state_btn = "1"
    input_reset_btn = "2"

In /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg I’ve tried these two settings for this line as noted in another thread;

# input_enable_hotkey_btn =
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = tab

Hotkeys work from a keyboard but when I only have two SNES controllers plugged in they don’t work from controller 1.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? Thanks!

Floob

Does this value exist in your file?
    /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

input_enable_hotkey

I’d remove this line from it (the /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg) , as it exists in your controller file:
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = tab

Also, this video may help give an overview (about 27:30 in)

spjonez
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply! I previously watched that video and selected option 1. At the very end of my config file is this line:

input_enable_hotkey = nul

Based on what he said I removed that line from the bottom of the file and changed this section to:

# Alternatively, all hotkeys for keyboard could be disabled by the user.
    input_enable_hotkey = alt

Rebooted and unfortunately they still aren’t working.

Floob

Can you post your /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg as an attachment or up on pastebin.com?

If you do it as an attachment you will need to rename it to a .txt file.

I’m presuming when you start a game that uses a retroarch/libretro core the yellow text appears on the bottom of the screen and confirms your controller filename?

spjonez
    Participant

Sure here’s my /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg. And my /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/USB_2-axis_8-button_gamepad.cfg.

Yes when I start a game very briefly yellow text flashes at the bottom of the screen showing each controller.

I was able to get hotkeys working in PISNES by changing the key bindings in /opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x.cfg but they still don’t work in any of the other emulators. All the others I’m using are part of libretro.

In the videos it doesn’t say to but am I supposed to change anything in /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/retroarch.cfg?

So confused!

Floob

Can you confirm the name of the file that is shown in yellow when you start a game?

Also, does this jstest show that your start button is 7 and select is 6?

And no, you dont need this:
    /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/retroarch.cfg

spjonez
    Participant

Yes jstest shows select as 6 and 7 as start. When I start a game this is the text I see in yellow:

Joypad port #0 (SFC/USB Pad) configured

When I ran the joystick setup from the setup script it said it wrote USB_2-axis_8-button_gamepad.cfg, but I’ve also tried changing USB_Gamepad.cfg and it doesn’t seem to fix it either.

Correcting the keys in /opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x.cfg did fix that emulator so I’m assuming it’s a misconfig but I can’t tell what file it’s loading from the text it prints.

Could it be a problem with auto-config? I can’t seem to find a similar config to snes9x.cfg for all the libretro ones.

Floob

Backup this directory:
    /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/

Then you could try this to confirm what file is getting written:

spjonez
    Participant

Fixed it! In /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs there was a file named tempconfig.cfg that had input_device = “SFC/USB Pad” which matches the yellow text. Updating that file made them start working.

Thanks both of you for your help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.