Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie Hotkey Select + Start opens UNIBIOS instead of exit

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    charco
    Participant

Hi, I am using iBuffalo USB SNES controllers on my R Pi2 and have Select as my hotkey and Start as exit key in my RetroArch controls.

When I try to exit the FBA Libretro emulator whilst playing a Neo Geo game, these commands pull up the UNIBIOS menu instead and I have to use the Esc key on my keyboard to exit.

I would like to just use the gamepads for all navigation, is there a way to change this? Using Select + Start works perfectly in all the other Libretro emulators, so I would like to keep that and assign UNIBIOS to some other combination.

Floob

well – some games in fba-libretro really dont like select being the hotkey, some games wont accept select as the coin button. So its common to set for fba-libretro, the hotkey to be something else like left trigger for example (you just override it in the fba retroarch.cfg).
    This way it seems to improve compatibility.

Details here:

FBA Retroarch core – coin controls

Out of interest, what does your neogeo.zip for fba look like?
    Mine is here (which is based on the dat file):
    http://s15.postimg.org/z9s9oyqff/neo.png

charco
    Participant

My neogeo.zip is 1,404kb and you can see the contents of the directory in the image attached.

Floob

Thanks for that.

charco
    Participant

I can’t seem to find where I need to change the hotkey button in my config. I am using an iBuffalo USB SNES pad.

Floob

Hotkey overview here:

It will be in here:
    /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/

charco
    Participant

I can’t seem to sort this, perhaps it’s something that can be fixed upstream for the next release as it’s too complicated for me.

Floob

Try putting this line in your file:
    /opt/retropie/configs/fba/retroarch.cfg

input_enable_hotkey_btn = “4”

It should set the left shoulder button as the hotkey for fba-libretro only.

charco
    Participant

I have edited that and ensure that input_exit_emulator_btn = “7” for my Start button. Still doesn’t do anything in lr-fba unfortunately.

Floob

If you send me your auto controller file, system retroarch and main retroarch file I could check out where the issue is. Or just paste them up on pastebin.

charco
    Participant

Thanks, here are my main RetroArch and system RetroArch config for FBA. Where can I find the auto controller config? I have the same iBuffalo SNES pad as you have I think going by your videos (which are great by the way).

Floob

In your main retroarch.cfg

Remove these lines
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = 6
    input_exit_emulator_btn = 7

Just to be tidy, comment this out:
    input_menu_toggle = f1
    with
    # input_menu_toggle = f1

Replace your entire fba retroarch.cfg file with

#include "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"
    # All settings made here will override the global settings for the current emulator core
    input_remapping_directory = /opt/retropie/configs/fba/
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = "4"

This will make your left shoulder button the hotkey enable button.
    So when you hold that and press Start it should exit the emulator.

You also had these settings which you may or may not want to add

custom_viewport_width = “823”
    custom_viewport_height = “480”
    custom_viewport_x = “15”
    custom_viewport_y = “0”
    video_refresh_rate = “50.000000”
    video_fullscreen_x = “640”
    video_fullscreen_y = “480”

I’d suggest leaving them out.

charco
    Participant

Will removing the hotkey and exit buttons not cause an issue with all my other RetroArch emulators though?

Floob

They should all be set in your auto controller.

What do you get if you type this
    grep -rnw '/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/' -e "USB,2-axis 8-button gamepad"

That should show you where your auto controller is (as you have an iBuffalo)
    Although you may get multiple results.

This is an older video, but it shows how the auto files work

charco
    Participant

Sweet, thank you. I’ll try this tomorrow, might finally be able to unplug the keyboard :)

charco
    Participant

Did that, no change. I really have no idea. Keyboard must be plugged in at all times or the only way to exit Neo Geo is to pull out the power chord.

Floob

When you say Neo Geo – you mean libretro-fba as opposed to pifba?

What do you get when you type:
    grep -rnw ‘/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/’ -e “USB,2-axis 8-button gamepad”

charco
    Participant

Yes, I mean lr-fba Neo Geo from the Neo Geo menu as opposed to FBA and not with PiFBA.

I typed in the above command and it lists 3 config files as follows:

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/USB,2-axis8-buttongamepad.cfg:1:input_device = "USB,2-axis 8-button gamepad  "

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/iBuffalo_ClassicUsb_Gamepad.cfg:1:input_device = "USB,2-axis 8-button gamepad"

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/USB,2-axis_8-button_gamepad.cfg:1:input_device = "USB,2-axis 8-button gamepad  "

Floob

Could you run this:
    ls -lahrt /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/*USB*

It should return 2 files

remove the one that is oldest (datestamp)
    You can use the rm command for that.

charco
    Participant

I deleted the older config file but the issue persists.

Floob

Can you run this once more?

grep -rnw ‘/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/’ -e “USB,2-axis 8-button gamepad”

And I’m assumign your fba retroarch.cfg file is just

#include "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"
    # All settings made here will override the global settings for the current emulator core
    input_remapping_directory = /opt/retropie/configs/fba/
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = "4"
    charco
    Participant

It still retrieves the first 2 gamepad config files posted above.

I can confirm that my fba system retroarch config is exactly as you have posted above.

Floob

Can you repost your /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg for me?

charco
    Participant

Here it is.

Floob

Try changing your
    input_enable_hotkey = nul
    to
    input_enable_hotkey = alt

And could you post your controller file?
    /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/USB,2-axis8-buttongamepad.cfg

charco
    Participant

I’ll try changing that to “alt”

Here is my USB gamepad config. This has never been altered.

Floob

Have you had chance to try that alt change yet?
    Can you use Select/Start in other emulators to return to ES ok?
    And in FBA – the yellow text appears at the bottom when you start – then if you hold left trigger and try the hotkeys, does anything happen?

charco
    Participant

Tried the alt thing, no change. Select + Start works perfectly in the other RetroArch emulators to exit. Holding L (button 4) and pressing start does nothing in lr-fba still. I can only exit by pressing the Esc key on my connected keyboard, if I unplug the keyboard, there is no way to exit and the PI 2 must be powered off to exit.

Floob

Thats so odd. Is this from a RetroPie image? or built from source?

On my RetroPie 3 beta 2, my files are as above, so I’m not sure why it isnt playing ball for you.

If you change this:
    #include “/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg”
    to this
    # include “/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg”

the controller shouldnt be detected at all – so you could try that to confirm the file is being read. (At the moment I’m presuming you get some yellow text at the bottom of the screen indicating it found the controller.)

charco
    Participant

I just checked before you posted and I am not getting the yellow text on booting up a game as I do on all the other RA emulators, even though the controls work in game and in the RGUI input settings it has the USB,2-axis8-buttongamepad listed as the device type.

Yes, this is a RetroPie 3.0 beta 2 image downloaded from this site.

EDIT: Changed fba RetroArch config text to: # include “/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg” and unfortunately that did not do anything either.

So, we can see that as the yellow text is not appearing on start up it is not finding the gamepad config file that the other RetroArch emulators use. Is it using some other file?

Have we exhausted all possibilities at this stage and should an issue be opened on github for RetroPie Setup or is this an upstream issue?

I wonder how yours is finding the correct gamepad config. These roms are all running on lr-fba using the FB Alpha v0.2.97.30 romset

Floob

I would have said you werent using fba-libretro but you say you can get into the RGUI.

Can you post your emulators file that is in the fba config directory?

charco
    Participant

Sure here’s what I have:

`pifba=”/opt/retropie/emulators/pifba/fba2x %ROM%”
    default=”lr-fba”
    lr-fba=”/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-fba/fb_alpha_libretro.so –config /opt/retropie/configs/fba/retroarch.cfg %ROM%”

Floob

Thats different to mine. Try this

pifba="/opt/retropie/emulators/pifba/fba2x %ROM%"
    default="lr-fba"
    lr-fba="/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-fba/fb_alpha_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/fba/retroarch.cfg %ROM%"

If you have a spare SD card you could also try writing the beta 4 image to it and just try our libretro-fba and see if it works for you.

charco
    Participant

I’ll try that config. I have another SD card so I’ll write the Beta 4 image to it and see what happens. Thanks for all your help.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.