Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie Hotkey for exiting to main menu

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ravilla
    Participant

So im new to this and seem to got it mostly working, but I cant figure out how to input the hotkey for start-select to exit the emulator. I have searched and searched and tried all kinds of different ways. Very frustrating. I was able to go into retroarch and save the set up for the controller. I am using a usb SNES controller, but everytime i try to enter the file, it says the command doesnt exist.
    cd /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/config­s
    doesnt work
    I am using retropie 3.2.1

Any help would be great. There are some other inputs i have tried and its like the retroarch config file doesnt exist.

herbfargus
    ravilla
    Participant

yeah ive gone through that set up and the command ” /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads ” doesnt work. Just says no such command

herbfargus

It automatically configured hotkeys when you configure your controllers through emulationstation

Are your hotkeys not working?

ravilla
    Participant

ive tried the start then select to exit hotkey and it doesn’t work. So ive been trying to get into the config file to set it up myself, but every command i have found doesn’t seem to work.
    I watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0FT4i2CQVI and was able to config the retroarch file with the controller, even though i did that already through emulationstation and when he gets to opening the file to see the hotkeys that are already in place. i get this command does not exist.

herbfargus

You may want to brush up on your Linux terminal command knowledge:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/ssh

The hotkey is select so its select+start not start+select.

What is the output of

ls -lah /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads

Also BTW that video is outdated. (I need to make a new one) the official wiki is the only thing kept consistently up to date.

ravilla
    Participant

What is the output of

ls -lah /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads

total 12K
    drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4.0K Jul 20 17:57 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 pi pi 4.0K Oct 20 2015 ..
    -rw-r–r– 1 pi pi 546 Jul 20 17:57 usbgamepad.cfg
    -rw-r–r– 1 pi pi 0 Jul 20 17:29 usbgamepad.cfg.bak

yeah i figured the video was out of date, but that it would still have the right commands for what I needed. Pressing select+start doesnt seem to do anything either.

herbfargus

And what are the contents of usbgamepad.cfg?

sudo nano usbgamepad.cfg

ravilla
    Participant

it was blank, so I guess i messed something up. Been trying to connect it to the internet, but cant keep the damn thing to connect with the ethernet cord.

herbfargus

That definitely would explain it.

You made sure you were in the retroarch-joypads folder first correct?

The absolute path to edit would be

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/usbgamepad.cfg

ravilla
    Participant

this came up this time. So it looks like the hotkey is enabled but not working for some reason.

herbfargus

Which emulators have you tested it on?

ravilla
    Participant

Just the SNES one, guess ill try some of the others

ravilla
    Participant

well i got it to work finally. Thanks for the help. Now i just have to figure why the game boy ROMs arent loading. Thanks again.

herbfargus

Please post your solution so that others with a similar issue can learn from your experience.

ravilla
    Participant

lol i feel an idiot, but i guess i needed to hold down the select button and press start. I was just clicking one then the other.

herbfargus

It’s always the little things ;) glad you got it sorted.

I’ve clarified the wiki:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation#default-hotkeys

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.