Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve searched forums, tried a few different setups but have not been able to find anything that answers this.

I’m using a Buffalo USB SNES controller and playing Street Fighter.

It uses all the controller buttons, so no spares, so I need to find an alternative hotkey button (ie: not on the controller)

Is it possible to setup the hotkey as a keyboard key instead of a Buffalo controller button?

I can’t seem to get it to work using Pii wireless mini keyboard… I always have to setup as a controller button for it to work.

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Most people use hotkeys set up so that you have to hold down select then press another button to do the action they want. Most people do select + start to exit the emulator and select + left/right to load/save save states.

evilmonkey90210
    Participant

You can’t use select as your hotkey as this is also the key for add coin in Final Burn Alpha emulator….

That’s the reason you remap it to something else….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you use some other button as your hot key?

evilmonkey90210
    Participant

No… the buffalo controller has 6 buttons + start and select. All of the buttons are used in some games such as Street fighter… for most games it’s fine as the may only use 2 or maybe 4 buttons (so you can assign the shoulder buttons as a hotkey).

Anonymous
    Inactive

As far as I know, Street Fighter doesn’t use button combinations involving start and select. The whole point of hotkeys is that you hold down a button and then press down another button to perform the action you want. If the hotkey you are trying to set up is to exit the emulator, just set it so you hold down select and then push a shoulder button or something.

evilmonkey90210
    Participant

Select is the default button for enter coin… start is well, start game.

If you change hotkey to select then you can’t enter a coin.

If you change it start, then you can’t start the game.

It’s well documented that under FBA you have to change the hotkey from the DEFAULT button of SELECT for this reason…

Any other game would be fine as there will be a spare button (such as a shoulder button).

Floob

You could use a shoulder button for hotkey anyway? Its just it would punch or kick etc.. at the same time – it would still act as the hotkey enable though.

evilmonkey90210
    Participant

(Thanks for taking the time to make the helpful setup vids by the way Floob – awesome work!)

Issue is when you then use the shoulder + another button then as a combo, or a special that involves say all punch buttons… you end triggering something related to the hotkey then… or if you use shoulder + a direction it knocks is on a save state for example.

It’s driving me nuts trying to find a way around it!

If I had a 7th button on the controller it would be fine!

I’ve tried re-assigning the hotkey to the keyboard from within the FBA in-game menu also but it only detects controller presses.

Floob

Yep – with lr-fba I end up just triggering something not very important, or just unmap one of the functions – I only ever really use about 3 in total.

You could try some of the newer experimental fba/mame emualtors and see if they have the same issue.

evilmonkey90210
    Participant

That is true… It’s just one of those things I’ve been trying for a while and driving me nuts!

How do you get ‘experiemental fba/mame’ emulators – manually add in emulator to replace the existing one?

How do you unmap a function – just make it null in the custom joypad config file?

Thanks!

evilmonkey90210
    Participant

Found a workaround for this…. Just leave the hotkey as select and use the second Buffalo controller to add coins instead.

dankcushions
    Participant

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of this one as there’s not a single MAME/FBA libretro core that doesn’t have this issue! Turns out it’s intentional behaviour in retroarch, which seems crazy to me as if the hotkey always took up a button and turned off that buttons normal behaviour, you would never be able to, for example, use SNES controllers in SNES emulators, as they have no buttons to spare!

fortunately, it seems every emulator core EXCEPT the mame/fba cores (and only for some games within), don’t function as intended :P but we’re still left with this problem in all the arcade cores.

i’ve raised this as an issue with retroarch but they seem dismissive of it for some reason: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/2230

dankcushions
    Participant

update on the above – retroarch have closed the issue. they don’t agree that it’s a problem. i’m really disappointed. it’s such a hassle to have two controllers plugged in just to get round this stupid bug.

i suggest copying and pasting this issue reference any time users run into this issue – maybe if it’s not just me talking on that issue, they’ll listen! https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/2230

dirteebreaks
    Participant

its not just you! its been doing my head in for a while!
    i have just finished building a weecade (bartop arcade machine) and when select is set hotkey it WILL NOT work as insert coin at the same time,
    people saying just bind it to another button don’t understand! it will and does get occidentally activated with other hotkey options like save state load state etc (we want these functions too)

to counter this i have been looking into setting the hotkey as select on player 2’s controls (my arcade machine uses the pi’s gpio’s so it also has the same amount of buttons as teh snes pad)
    But NOOOO there dont seem to be a way to binf hotkeys to player 2 and bno documentation on it anywhere! only player 1!!

for now im going to also use player 2 select as coin in, but its not good having totally different controls for each emu on an arcade machine!

i hate it when devs dont address flaws just because theres not enough demand for it, that does not mean its a not a flaw. lol

id love to find a work around also

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.