Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Help with getting atari 800 games to run please:)

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    loccen
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m very new to all this, but have been reading and gathering as much information as possible.

I’m desperately trying to run Atari 800 games ( I have the .ATR files)and placed them in the correct location, I also downloaded and placed the 5 emulators in the /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS folder.

When trying to load an image, I just get the error you need to use a real OS.

I have pressed F1 and gone through the settings on the emulator and to be honest I next to no idea what I’m doing…

Could some kind soul please explain in steps what I need to do in order to get things running please? and also how to configure a usb snes pad to work on this?

Regards

Loccen

petrockblog
    Keymaster

ou need to copy the Atari 800/5200 BIOS files (5200.ROM, ATARIBAS.ROM, ATARIOSB.ROM and ATARIXL.ROM) to the folder /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS and then on first launch configure it to scan that folder for roms (F1 -> Emulator Configuration -> System Rom Settings)

then save the config and it should be good to go.

herbfargus

Try to follow the steps exactly in the wiki:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Atari-800-and-5200

I wrote them as i did it so it should work provided that you have the correct bios files

loccen
    Participant

thanks for the fast replies,
    I have the emulator working with some games, and not with others for some odd reason, (trying to get M.U.L.E working as it’s a classic) however it fails to load (the blue screen seems to shoot up almost to the top then nothing happens), tried another copy and it just sais REMOVE CARTRIDGE.
    Not sure why some are working and others are not as they were all attained from the same resource and are all .atr

Any other tips would be very welcome:) and if anyone has MULE working on their emulator please let me know how you did it!

Many thanks again!

Loccen

loccen
    Participant

Just to update,

Thanks to mr. Herbfargus, i followed what you said and 95% of the ROMS are working now.

I also used the details that were in your config file that you posted.

I have tried for quite a few hours now to get this one game working (M.U.L.E) with literally no luck, i have tried many different rom images and all either say REMOVE CARTRIDGE or crashes the emulator.

Im very desprerate to get this one going again, if any of you have it working please let me know how you managed it.

Regards

Loccen

herbfargus

You could always try the nes version of mule or c64, or msx2, or zxspectrum… Sometimes emulation may be incomplete with some games. I haven’t tried m.u.l.e. so I wouldn’t know if its compatible or not.

loccen
    Participant

Ok thank you all very much for all your help, and for answering super quick! :)

Loccen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.