Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project HELP NEEDED. First person to solve my problem will receive an arduino uno.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    toddforester
    Participant

First, off thank you all for your hard work, and im sure you are tired of solving joypad issues but i searched the entire forum and have seen no problems like mine. (if i missed it put the link in the comments).

Second, i will send whoever helps me to solve my issue an arduino uno.

Third, i would send you a beer but im not sure that would be completely legal.

OK so The Problem,
    i have a raspberry pi model b rev.2 running this image [url]https://www.petrockblock.com/download/retropie-project-sd-card-image-torrent/[/url]
    i have wired two nes controller ports according to this image.
    [img]https://www.petrockblock.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/wpid-photo-19-10-2012-2001.jpg[/img]

The problem is controller 1 (data1/pin7) is recognizedas js1 and controller 2 (data2/pin5) is not responsive(recognized???) at all.

I know SNESDev is running properly because i also have a button wired to pin11 and when i press it i get “r” in the console and if i press 5 times the pi shuts down.

when i do,
    ls /dev/input/
    i get this output in the console,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls /dev/input/
    by-id  by-path  event0  event1  event2  event3 event4 js0  js1  mice  mouse0
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

if i do,
    jstest /dev/input/js0

i get no response from either controller.
    from what i have read controller 1 should be js0 correct?

if i do,
    jstest /dev/input/js1
    and press buttons on controller 1 i can see the button states changing from off to on and the axes move.

i have gotten emulationstation and emulators to recognize controller 1.
    i had to edit /RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg to have,
    input_player1_joypad_index = 1
    instead of,
    input_player1_joypad_index = 0
    in order to have player 1 controller able to be used in emulators.
    in doing so i also changed player2_joypad index to 0.
    i am super desperate for a solution right now i have been at this for 3 days now and (i can feel my hair turning grey) have had no resolution to my problem. i need this thing ready for two players (on original nes controller hardware) by this sunday (3/30/14) so my son and i can play nes while i get to see him.

sorry if this post is super long i, trying to give all the info i have.
    i plan on posting pictures on here of what i have done after it is finished.

for now you can catch a peek in this video [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvQFhAj6Puk[/url]

thanks in advance and if you help me first youll get one of these bad boys right here. [url]http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoUno_r2_front.jpg[/url]

if you need more info or think you know whats up let me know
    thanks.

toddforester
    Participant

so i poked around with my oscilloscope on the data lines of both controllers and it seems like player1’s voltages are higher than player2’s i can see when i press buttons on both 1 and 2 … also with a multimeter i checked the data lines of both. player ones normal voltage on data is == 3.25 . player twos normal voltage is == 1.71 . i am confused??? im powering both controllers from gpio pin1 3v. any ideas? im thinking maybe ill try 5v but i dont want to burn the pi.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Since only js0 and js1 exist in the input directory, I assume that only SNESDev is running and not interfering with, say, the gamecondriver (which can also be installed via the RetroPie-Setup Script – DON’T DO THAT!).

Also, one pad is working, which means that all connections except one data pin are properly connected and SNESDev is running correctly.

Now, I would try and check or even reconnect the data lines on the breadboard. Just a wild guess, though.

I keep my fingers crossed that you can solve the problem until sunday!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Another thing – swap data 1 and data 2. Does this lead to swapped gamepads on the console as well?

karloss
    Participant

I had loads of issues using the latest image and gamepads, build your own from source using raspbian and the retropie script, I had no issues with js0/1 since then..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

toddforester
    Participant

thank you all for the replies. I ended up connecting vcc for both controllers to gpio pin2 (5v) and crossed my fingers that my pi didn’t explode when powered. to my surprise IT WORKED!!! I now have both controllers working perfectly. I have read that there is supposed to be some protection (diode+resistor?) on the data pins could you tell me how that is supposed to work?

toddforester
    Participant

also I think the data lines are backwards in the diagram above or (software?) because player 1 is js1 and player 2 is js0.

malacai
    Participant

toddforester: Big thx for this, u sure solved my problems

cheers mate!

/mallorz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.