Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project help me map N64mupen controls to my console controls.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tommymsw
    Participant

I am trying to map my console (I built a cabinet) to the n64mupen emulator. I found instructions for mapping a USB controller. When I search the mupen64plus.cfg the only controller that shows with a name is “keyboard”. I was assuming as the joystick and buttons are connected to the RPi GPIO inputs, it may register as a keyboard? But I get no luck changing those figures (although I am not sure I am going it correctly). I tried “button (5)” format, and just “5”.

The controls work perfect in all the emulators that us the retropie.cfg so I know they map. I just can’t figure out how to map them manually for n64mupen.

puck6t9
    Participant

find your joystick config file. the name that come on in yellow writing when starting a emulator. then add that to the inputautocfg.ini file in the /configs/n64 folder. worked for me.

tommymsw
    Participant

Thanks, I am not really sure what you mean exactly? What loads in yellow is GPIO Controller 1. That does not appear in the inputautocfg.ini file. I tried manually adding a section like:(based in the GPIO controller cfg found in /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs)

[GPIO Controller 1]
    plugged = True
    plugin = 2
    mouse = False
    input_device = “GPIO Controller 1”
    input_driver = “udev”
    DPad R = “+0”
    DPad L = “-0”
    DPad D = “+1”
    DPad U = “-1”
    Start = “7”

But I get no joy. It seems as if “any” button I press registers as “A” as when the game says “Press A button” any button advances the screen. But then I have to press “Start” and no button works. Somehow it is getting an input from the buttons (as they advance the screens) but maybe none are registered with a proper command?

puck6t9
    Participant

Have you tried going to the retopie menu and selecting the config joy stick. After I did that it created a file for my joystick with the name and button configs. This is what I used to edit the auto input.ini file to get mine working.

tommymsw
    Participant

Yes, the joystick works perfect in emulation station and all of the emulators that use the retroarch config file. But the N64 emulator that uses the retrarch config, does not play any roms well.I tried just copy and paste the retroarch connfig into the autoinput file, but this did nothing. The code from the retroarch cfg and the code in the mupen cfg are totally different. I tried just adding the button numbers from one to the other, but that also didn’t work.

I figure somebody must have a console with GPIO buttons and want to use the mupen emulator?

puck6t9
    Participant

you do know the autoinput.ini file uses a different layout then the retoarch.cfg. What i did was found a entry in the autoinput.ini that was close to my joy pad. copied that entry pasted it at the bottom then changed the relevant info like name and button maps. also im using the experimental mupen64plus i don’t know if that makes a difference.

tommymsw
    Participant

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. No matter how I change the file, N64 reacts the exact same way. EVERY key seems to be “A” and I can’t test the joystick because I can’t get the “start” button to work for “start”. This is what I added to the inputautocfg.ini file…. but when I start the N64 emulator, I do NOT see the YELLOW text telling me what joystick it is using (like it does in every other emulator). My best guess is that it is NOT loading the file at all?

[GPIO Controller 1]
    plugged = True
    plugin = 2
    mouse = False
    DPad R = axis (+0)
    DPad L = axis (-0)
    DPad D = axis (+1)
    DPad U = axis (-1)
    Start = button (7)
    Z Trig = button(2)
    B Button = button(5)
    A Button = button(0)
    C Button R =
    C Button L =
    C Button D =
    C Button U =
    R Trig = button(4)
    L Trig = button(3)
    Mempak switch =
    Rumblepak switch =
    X Axis =
    Y Axis =

puck6t9
    Participant

Try making the changes like this

Start = GPIO(7)
    Z Trig = GPIO(2)
    B Button = GPIO(5)

and so on. Also make the same changes in the mupen64plus.cfg file.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.