Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

my pi gets very hot inside my bartop and freezes when running this 1 hour, I bought some on ebay heatshink fan. My setup is this
    arm_freq = 900
    core_freq = 300
    sdram_freq = 500
    Will that be enough or is it better to put a 8 cm fan?
    Is that setup is good for the memory card?
    thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve had a heatsink on mine since long before I started running RetroPie but in a rather closed case with just the heatsink it could easily go above 70 degrees celsius. Now I’m using a wide open case with heatsinks and fan and it runs about 25 degrees cooler now.

This is what I’m using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enclosure-Case-Box-for-Raspberry-Pi-B-w-Cooling-Fan-and-heatsink-Kit-NEW-/291186439319

My overclocking is:
    cpu 1100
    core 550
    sdram 550
    gpu 275
    overvolting 6

Important for overclocking is a good powersource (700mA is not enough, I’ve tried).

Also I believe cranking up the core clock may be what have the biggest effect. Overclocking the gpu probably have very little or no effect. I went from 250 to 275 just to make it half the core clock. It most likely makes no difference.

I have three Raspberrys and all three are stable at cpu=1000, core=500, sdram=500 and overvolting=6 if used with a good powersource. That’s without active cooling. Only the one I use for RetroPie has been taken it bit higher.

Here’s a script that you can use to monitor the temperature:
    http://pastebin.com/qmfUVPun

Btw, here’s my overclocking settings from my Raspberry that runs Raspbmc:
    arm_freq=1000
    gpu_freq=250
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=6
    force_turbo=0

I wouldn’t be surprised if your Raspberry can run with those settings too if you have a good enough powersource (1A or more).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, and one more thing. The fan I use is a 5v fan but the GPIO pins can provide both 3.3v and 5v so I ended up using 3.3v for the fan to make it run much quieter. Still cools it good enough.

octubrq
    Participant

thank you very much, you helped me a lot. I will buy the same as your

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.