Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Having trouble with MAME

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bswart
    Participant

Hi guys,

Having more trouble with getting MAME to work than I thought I would.

I’m using a Raspberry PI 2 Model B.

Downloaded the v3 SD image from here.

I’m getting the common “missing files” error and I’m not sure why.

Example – bubbobr1.zip is in my Mame4All folder which according to ROM list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gpuoZx78kDDdnf_yADicsSZHMfpOxNySSov7UdCDAik/edit#gid=828747670) it has been tested as ok.

Another – dino.zip which again is in the same folder runs but has no sound.

Youtube videos I’ve watched show people placing the ROMS in a generic ‘MAME’ folder but my Pi doesn’t have that folder?

I have ROMS in Mame4all and advmame according to the ROMS list and neogeo.zip in both folders. MAME appears twice in the menu, is this correct?

Sorry, many questions.

herbfargus
    bswart
    Participant

Thanks for your answer. I think I’m getting there.

A) do I need to update the .dat files on my Pi or do I just use the .dat file for the rebuild?

B) as an example – aliensyn is listed in the Mame4all Romset so that goes under /mame4all and conversely daytonam is in the AdvMame 1.2 romset so that should go under /mame4all?

c) does MAME appear on the selection menu multiple times when you have roms in mutliple emulator folders?

herbfargus

The .dat files are only used for the rebuild

Advmame go in the mame-advmame folder

And yes you’ll have 3 mames in emulationstation if you populate the 3 mame rom folders.

bswart
    Participant

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I followed all the instructions, downloaded the dat files, rebuilt the roms etc

Uploaded the new zip files and still get the same missing files error messages.

dankcushions
    Participant

when you rebuilt the roms, did you get any errors? in my experience i’ve normally had to get a hold of the actual correct mame version (eg, 0.78 for lr-mame2003) as a base, and scan/rebuild to confirm the integrity of it.

secondly, i’ve always put the entire contents of the mame set (or at least my rebuild) in the relevant directories. if you pick and choose individual .zips you could get into the situation where you’ve got a clone in there, but not the parent. only the parent zips are self-contained.

socalretrogamer
    Participant

I just added some MAME games for the first time recently and I cant get them to work either. Is there a BIOS file that I need to add?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Did you read the documentation detailing romset versions linked earlier in this thread ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.