Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Has anyone gotten Phantasy Star 1 to work?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lividhatter
    Participant

For the life of me i cant get it to work. Everything else seems fine though. Can anyone confirm this game works for them?

brakanje
    Participant

What issue are you having? I loaded up the only PS1 I had (genesis JP) and it starts up no problem. being that i can’t read japanese I wont make it far if I don’t patch it which may change my experience so knowing more of what is happening to you and what version you are running may help.

KK tested it and it runs on retroarch but not on osmos although it seems in osmos the issue is that runcommand.sh breaks.

brakanje
    Participant

Also are you running retroarch or dgen? (i have everything installed to retroarch so would need to copy it to dgen to test that.

Sorry just discovered the rom named “Phantasy Star – Sennenki no Owari ni” is just the japanese 4. Testing PS1 on the MS now in both emulators.

lividhatter
    Participant

Oh thank you for trying, keep me posted.

brakanje
    Participant

Sorry about the confusing way I replied. I have tested it and it works. I have even gotten a decent way into this rather unforgiving game. You just need to substitute SaveStates for saving because for some very strange reason the act of loading crashes the game.

lividhatter
    Participant

So strange, I have horrendous audio lag from the moment I launch it and it generally runs like crap. I know im using picodrive. What overclock settings are you running at? What version of RetroPie are you on?

brakanje
    Participant

I’m on 1.4.1 my overclock was just the numbers in the advanced setup guide. I can’t further test it today as I seem to have broken ES by compiling a second copy of ES. Once I reimage I can play with it again. In the mean time can you tell me the exact goodname of your rom?

lividhatter
    Participant

ive tried a couple different ones. Im not at home so i cant get the exact name right now. Ill try to remember when i get home.

Mutex
    Participant

Just tried it with the GenesisPlus-GX libretro core. Had no problem to get into the game.

lividhatter
    Participant

I can get into it but the music is horribly slowed down, and other aspect of the game are super slow. What version of pi are you on?

Mutex
    Participant

I compiled it on a recent raspbian image (on rpi2b). Are you using the picodrive core for sms emulation? it has lots of problems with several roms (i.e. shinobi). Osmose works way better but has it’s own problems (hangs everytime I exit the emulator, it’s not a libretro-core, so you have different controls, and the runcommand.sh is borked and breaks with osmose). I switched to the genesisplus-gx core (used for game gear emulation in retorpie). It works way better for sms games than the picodrive one.

lividhatter
    Participant

ok im going to try that, im pretty sure im using picodrive. Thank you for the info.

lividhatter
    Participant

Is genesisplus-gx already installed, or will i have to do something to get it installed?

Mutex
    Participant

it should be installed but not as a sms emulator. Its the default gamegear emulator in retropie. If you want to use it as sms emulator you have to do some tinkering with your es_systems.cfg.

lividhatter
    Participant

So I finally got around to trying this. I drug my sms file into both game gear rom folders I have. One seemed to be osmose and one looks like it uses libretro. I renamed the files to .gg instead of .sms and they both sort of run. The libretro runs much better, but the screen is purple and cutoff.

Is there a way to fix this, or can anyone tell me how to install genesisplus-gx?

EDIT: Wording.

tdanforth
    Participant

Are you still having trouble with this? I’m new with this stuff so I’m no expert, but I was having the same issues with PSI sound being all jacked and generally running weird, and I think I got it to work by switching to the genesisplus gx thing in the es_systems.cfg. Here’s what I did:

1. Change file and folder permissions to allow editing of es_systems.cfg — in terminal enter “sudo chown -R pi /etc/emulationstation/” (no quotation marks)

2. Edit the es_systems.cfg file in nano — in terminal enter “nano /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg”

3. Change this:

<system>
    <fullname>Sega Master System / Mark III</fullname>
    <name>mastersystem</name>
    <path>~/RetroPie/roms/mastersystem</path>
    <extension>.sms .SMS .zip .ZIP</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 4 “/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/picodrive/picodrive_libretro.so –config /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg –appendconfig /opt/retropie/configs/mastersystem/retroarch.cfg %ROM%” “picodrive”</command>
    <platform>mastersystem</platform>
    <theme>mastersystem</theme>
    </system>

TO THIS:

<system>
    <fullname>Sega Master System / Mark III</fullname>
    <name>mastersystem</name>
    <path>~/RetroPie/roms/mastersystem</path>
    <extension>.sms .SMS .zip .ZIP</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 4 “/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/genesislibretro/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so –config /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg –appendconfig /opt/retropie/configs/mastersystem/retroarch.cfg %ROM%” “genesislibretro”</command>
    <platform>mastersystem</platform>
    <theme>mastersystem</theme>
    </system>

Really, you’re just changing a few words in the <command> section (i.e., changing picodrive references to genesislibretro), but I copied and pasted the entire <system> section because it seems clearer to me that way where, exactly, the edits should happen.

Doing this fixed the PSI issues I was having, hopefully this will help you too!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.