Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie Guide to get CRT style output when using HD TV

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Floob

This guide shows how to easily change your settings to get a more retro feel to video output. Bear in mind this WILL overwrite your system specific retroarch.cfg files, so make note of customisations you have made, or backup first.

donjuanzx9
    Participant

Hi,I’m new here so please move or remove my post if this is the wrong place for this question.
    I tried to follow your video but when I enter the github address I get the certificate has not been activated…I also tried using http instead of https and still a no go.

donjuanzx9
    Participant

Ok I think I have it,I’m downloading it on my windows machine and I will ssh to my pi and unpack it.

Floob

@donjuanzx9
    The video is assuming you are doing this at a command line on the Pi – using PuTTY for example. You can download the file from a web browser – but thats more hassle.

donjuanzx9
    Participant

I was using command line.

donjuanzx9
    Participant

I followed your directions and it comes back github certificate has not been activated.So long story short I downloaded it and SSH it to the PI and placed it in the correct place then followed your directions now its working without a problem and looks great…Great job Floob!

Floob

Glad its all working now.
    If you could post a screenshot of the error (and command that triggered it) I’ll check it out and see if I can sort it out.

donjuanzx9
    Participant

I’m not sure how to take screen shots on retropie so I did it from my windows machine…This is a new install of retropie..
    This got cut off the end of the screenshot
    ERROR: The certificate of `github-cloud.s3.amazonaws.com’ is not trusted.
    The certificate has not yet been activated

Floob

I cant replicate that with PuTTY – is that what you are using?
    As long as its working I guess it ok for the moment.

Or you could prefix the wget line with
    wget –no-check-certificate

donjuanzx9
    Participant

I got the same message from within Pi as well.
    Since no one else has mentioned it maybe I’m the only one.
    I got it to work anyway so all is good.

dabone
    Participant

Ok, I’ve installed your pack and I must say, I’m impressed.

A couple of requests for the next version.

1. Please, please add atari 2600. I’d love to have the tv overlay with it.
    2. Could you add the option for larger play areas on the gb/gbc/and gba.
    It seems a waste of screen area just to include more of the console art.
    On my 46″ TV I have a view port of 24″ for GBA, and 18″ for GB and GBC,
    compared to 28.5″ for Snes, nes, etc.

Thanks!

later,
    dabone

Floob

@dabone – Thanks for the comment. Sure, if you add the requests as an issue on the github page, I’ll get round to adding that.

MRKane
    Participant

I’ll start off by saying that I’m only just getting around to this and have to do it via command line as just don’t have access to anything more than that.

That aside it’d almost be handy to have the ability to select the overlay within the emulator settings on RetroPie itself. Just throwing that out there ;)

scoularis
    Participant

Hey Floob,

I just set up my new Pi 2 with Retropie and the default 1080p overlays from your Video Manager script. So far I’ve tested NES, Genesis, SNES, and Neo Geo.

NES/Genesis/SNES all look great with the Retrostation TV overlay and scanlines, but for some reason in Neo Geo the image is down and to the right so that about 80% of it is obscured by the bottom right portion of the television overlay. I’ve tried resetting to default and re-applying the overlay, but no dice. It’s only on Neo Geo (lr-fba-next) that I’m seeing this issue. Any ideas?

I’m running Retropie on a 1080p screen with everything set to defaults otherwise.

Floob

@scoularis
    If you confirm the menu option (numbers) you chose I’ll check it out. Are you using RetroPie 3.2.1?
    I’m trying to remember if lr-fba-next is the default for Neo Geo?
    It may also help if you post your /opt/retropie/configs/neogeo/retroarch.cfg on pastebin.com and link to it.

scoularis
    Participant

[quote=111151] @scoularis
    If you confirm the menu option (numbers) you chose I’ll check it out. Are you using RetroPie 3.2.1?
    I’m trying to remember if lr-fba-next is the default for Neo Geo?
    It may also help if you post your /opt/retropie/configs/neogeo/retroarch.cfg on pastebin.com and link to it.

[/quote]

Yes, I’m on the latest RetroPie and lr-fba-next is the default for Neo Geo.

For menu options, I did:

Config > Download Required Files
    1080p overlays
    Overlays (1st option)

As for my neogeo retroarch.cfg, I’ve since restored it back to default since the overlay was being problematic. When I get home later tonight I could apply the overlay back to Neo Geo and then share my config file. Thanks for looking into this.

Also, I’m running v1.0 of video manager. That’s the latest one, right?

Floob

Thats odd, I just tested it and it seems fine (yes 1.0 is latest version at the moment). I used lr-fba as the neogeo emulator, but that should make no difference as they both use the same retroarch.cfg

The config file /opt/retropie/configs/neogeo/retroarch.cfg should read like this with the options you chose

video_fullscreen_x = 1920
    video_fullscreen_y = 1080
    custom_viewport_width = 1194
    custom_viewport_height = 896
    custom_viewport_x = 363
    custom_viewport_y = 91
    aspect_ratio_index = 22
    input_overlay = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/1080p_4-3/NeoGeo-SNES-MegaDrive_1080p.cfg
    input_overlay_enable = true
    input_overlay_opacity = 1.000000
    input_overlay_scale = "1.000000"
    video_smooth = true
    #include "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"

The error you are descriving implies these are different for you

custom_viewport_x = 363
    custom_viewport_y = 91

Or maybe your TV is outputting a quirky 1080p signal – but then if it works ok for the other emulators it should be fine.

scoularis
    Participant

Alright, thanks. I ended up just using a CRT shader for NeoGeo and then leaving all other systems configured by your Video Manager script. crt-hyllian-lq seems to do a very nice job replicating that old arcade monitor feel.

If I ever decide to re-apply your video settings for Neo Geo, I’ll refer back to those config file settings that you posted and make sure they match up. Thanks for the help.

cascacure
    Participant

Greetings guys,

I have just installed Retropie 3.2.1 on a RPi 2, as well as the rp-video-manager detailed in the link provided by Floob.

I ran the rp-video-manager .sh successfully, and installed the required files.

I then selected overlays for 1080p (option 3) and then selected option 1 and exited.

Everything seems to be running great, but is there anyway to used Toriq’s “decal” for all overlays effected, as opposed to the default one?

I prefer Toriq’s darker image on the front-end as opposed to the wood panel decal.

Thanks so much for your time and effort.

Retropie rocks =)

Floob

Whats Toriqs decal?
    Do you mean Thorig?

If so, you could message him here to support more systems
    https://www.petrockblock.com/community/members/thorig/

Or you could manually add it to the other systems.

cascacure
    Participant

Hi Floob, thank you for your reply.

Yes I was referring to Thorig’s decal.

Ideally, I would like to use Thorig’s decal to replace ALL systems effected when using Option 1 for 1080p overlays. (Replacing wooden panel decal w/Thorig’s darker one)

How would I go about attempting this aesthetic change?

Thank you for your time.

Floob

This video gives an overview of the types of changes.
    Or you could apply the first option, then just go into the systems and change the filename to point to the thorig overlays.

cascacure
    Participant

Thank you for your video Floob! Giving it a watch now.

The second option sounds appealing, can you please elaborate on it?

I have successfully applied option 1, I would like to go about going into the systems and re-directing to Thorigs decal.

I assume you mean the system configs found in rp-video-manager/system-retroarch/?

I’ve opened up rp-video-manager/system-retroarch/snes/retroarch.overlay.cfg but am not sure what command to enter to point ot Thorig’s decal.

Much thanks for your contributions.

EDIT: Did some digging and I believe I need to edit the .cfg files in “rp-video-manager/1080p_4-3/”. Now I’ve just got to re-direct the overlay0_overlay = to Thorig’s png located in another folder. I’ll try it and update here.

EDIT 2: No luck after editing the SNES .cfg file in 1080p_4-3 to direct overlay0_overlay = to Thorigs .png

Any help is greatly appreciated before I continue to get ahead of myself ;p

Floob

When you apply thorigs settings, check out one of the updated files, i.e.
    /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/retroarch.cfg and look at the line that refers to the .cfg file in there.
    Then put that in the relevant system retroarch file, i.e.
    /opt/retropie/configs/mastersystem/retroarch.cfg

There are potentially width and height considerations, but thats broadly it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.