Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project GPIO Adapter NES & SNES at the same time?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    supersirlink
    Participant

Hi, I am wanting to add one of these to my Raspberry Pi to connect original NES and SNES controllers at the same time, is that possible? I see the description says NES “or” SNES, and the number of pins obviously limits you to 2 controller sockets; but I am wondering if I could wire up one NES socket (for NES games) and one SNES socket (for SNES games)?

Ideally, it would be great to have 2 NES “and” 2 SNES sockets; but I don’t see that being possible, correct?

Thanks!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I have not tested this myself, but it should be possible to connect one SNES and one NES controller. The recent version of SNESDev, the driver for the RetroPie GPIO Adapter, can be configured in this way.

Four game pads would need four data lines, which are not provided by the adapter at the moment, unfortunately.

supersirlink
    Participant

Cool, thanks much for the reply! I don’t intend of doing a lot of multiplayer, so one of each is really what I am after… I just ordered one from you, thanks for making that available!

I have original controllers that have been modified to USB, I wonder then if I can make the USB player 2…

Thanks again!

supersirlink
    Participant

Ohh, I forgot to ask, is that version of the driver already in version 1.9.1 of the RetroPi image?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

No, I have updated the driver (“SNESDev”) with that functionality just today. You can update SNESDev, e.g., via the source-based installation of the RetroPie Setup Script. The README of SNESDev can also be found at https://github.com/petrockblog/SNESDev-RPi#configuring-snesdev-rpi.

supersirlink
    Participant

Thanks, will post back my results once I get the parts…

supersirlink
    Participant

It just occurred to me that NES and SNES controls both have 7 pins… I can then wire up NES connectors (since I play more NES games and only own a few SNES games) and make an adapter to plug an SNES controller in…

Speaking of which, now if there was a way to read the actual cartridges… That would be beyond cool…

supersirlink
    Participant

So here is the SNES to NES adapter I came up with… Tested on my NES, once I get the RetroPie GPIO and wired up, I will update how it works with it…

Untitled

supersirlink
    Participant

Got my RetroPie GPIO board this week and got everything wired up today… Still have to test yet…

Untitled
    Untitled

supersirlink
    Participant

So I am testing the GPIO with an NES controller, but jstest on js0 is not showing the Retropie GPIO, but my USB NES controller:
    pi@raspberrypi /dev/input $ jstest js0
    Driver version is 2.1.0.
    Joystick (InfiniteNesLives.com (S)NES_USB) has 2 axes (X, Y)
    and 8 buttons (BtnX, BtnY, BtnZ, BtnTL, BtnTR, BtnTL2, BtnTR2, BtnSelect).
    Testing … (interrupt to exit)
    Axes: 0:-32767 1:-32767 Buttons: 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off 7:off ^Z
    [3]+ Stopped jstest js0
    `

Do I have to remove js0, or should it redetect the controller on the GPIO? I forced a fresh install of SNESdev via the setup script…

Tested the momentary switch function and that appears to be working via the testbutton script…

Edit: nope I forgot to unplug the usb controller… Did so and rebooted, but now I don’t even have a js0 or js1…

Service also appears to be running…

Edit2: okay, if I restart the service I get js0 and js1…

Edit2: Nevermind, :) I performed the enable on restart from the retropie setup script and now they show up on start up… Guessing when I force a new install it removed that…

supersirlink
    Participant

I left the SNESDev.cfg file set to SNES controller types, but set the button mappings for each system in retroarch.cfg for that system…

Works great!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Now that is great – I am glad to hear this!

supersirlink
    Participant

Yeah, the SNES controller worked fine with the adapter I made to connect to NES ports.

It is a great little board you designed!

Ohh and it seems the script assigned to the momentary switch is also affected by the enable hotkey setting in the retroarch.cfg. But I posted about that in another thread.

brooksyx
    Participant

[quote=3474]Got my RetroPie GPIO board this week and got everything wired up today… Still have to test yet…

[/quote]

Can I ask which gpio pins you are shorting out for your reset switch? Is it the top two or bottom two. It is hard to tell from the picture.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.