Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Getting Apple II emulation working

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    theroamer
    Participant

Has anyone had any luck getting the apple II emulation working?

I have some .dsk files of old apple games, put them in the apple II roms folder, then had to add the dsk extension to es_systems.cfg so it would see them, but when I try to run anything it tries, then goes back to the emulationstation menu. I tried recompiling linapple from /opt/retropie/emulators/linapple-src_2a/src but got this error:

g++ -O3 -Wall -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT    -c -o Disk.o Disk.cpp
    Disk.cpp:45:17: fatal error: zip.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [Disk.o] Error 1

any ideas how I can get it working?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Does updating the RetroPie-Setup Script, e.g., with git pull from within the RetroPie-Setup Script folder and running sudo ./retropie_packages.sh linapple work for you?

n-marek
    Participant

Hey, did you get it to work? I have a same problem now. Thanks

ninjabunny9000
    Participant

I know it’s a bit late to chime in, but in case anyone else is having the same problem, I looked in the ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg file and it shows that the file format that is supported is “.txt”. I’m not sure if:

– the files need to be changed to that extension (.txt)
    – there needs to be a .txt file associated with each rom/program that has information pertaining to the roms locatin, etc
    – the “.txt” is just a placeholder, and the es_systems.cfg file needs to be updated with the correct extensions according to the emulator you’re using

<system>
            <fullname>Apple II</fullname>
            <name>apple2</name>
            <path>~/RetroPie/roms/apple2</path>
            <extension>.txt</extension>
            <command>/opt/retropie/emulators/linapple-src_2a/Start.sh</command>
            <platform>apple2</platform>
            <theme>apple2</theme>
        </system>
    petrockblog
    Keymaster

It’s not designed to launch disks from emulationstation but rather just to launch “Start” and then insert disks etc from inside the emulator. The extension is just .txt so we put a “Start.txt” in there to give something to launch. It actually just launches the emulator though (via script as it needs to launch from a specific folder)

This probably could be improved to work in the same way as emulators like vice etc, but requires some working of the launch script to handle loading of disks etc.

ninjabunny9000
    Participant

Aha! Well that makes perfect sense. I will try that when I get home. Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.