Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project GB(A)(C) Emulators (All) don't work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    resentedpoet
    Participant

For some reason, none of the GB/GBC/GBA emulators on my install work. I select a rom from the list, and instantly booted back to black screen. Am I supposed to have a BIOS file installed somewhere for this to work?

Any help is appreciated.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I just tested the GB, GBC, and GBA emulators. They all work for me (with HDMI video output). In case of the GBA emulator (“GPSP”), you need to put a BIOS file into /home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/gpsp/raspberry. See also https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/The-gpSP-Emulator.

karloss
    Participant

I assume you are using RCA,

“Also, PetRockBlog recently added a feature for changing the HDMI resolution when starting Retro-Arch based systems. This seems to interfere with video working properly on composite screens. To disable it, you need to edit the ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg file. Change the line:

COMMAND=$rootdir/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 1 “retroarch -…

to:

COMMAND=$rootdir/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 2 “retroarch -…”

resentedpoet
    Participant

Hi,

No, actually I am using HDMI.

resentedpoet
    Participant

Hmm, now i’m stumped. Mame or Neo-Geo roms won’t work either, just goes to a black screen with some text (I can’t make out any of the words, too fast) and goes back to ES. Was hoping to try out some Metal Slug on this and play a few child hood faves. Is there something i’m supposed to post configure with mame to get it to work?

Would trying to hook it up via RCA make any difference?

karloss
    Participant

Neo-Geo requires all bios files.

I suggest re-installing…

resentedpoet
    Participant

Ok, i’ll give that a try.

I have the neogeo bios, does it stay in .zip or does it get uncompressed?

resentedpoet
    Participant

Ok, found the ROM compatibility list for imame4all and the games I have been trying to run apparently are unsupported :(

How can I get ES to use another MAME emulator? I see advanceMAME was installed (from the tutorial) but there is no where that says how to use it over imame4all.

Also, when I checked the es_systems.cfg, I noticed the alternative run commands were there to uncomment to use other emulators (ie, piNES) but there was no alternative line for advancemame.

resentedpoet
    Participant

Here is my debug.log After re-install, still same thing. Mame/Neo-Geo/GBC/GB roms will not work. I have GBA working now, thanks for the help with that.

Not sure what I am doing wrong…

damitchris
    Participant

I have the same problem I cant get gba to work or gbc to work. I put the bios in the right folder. Mine blacks out too and sends me back to the gba or gbc screen.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

[quote=2361]Ok, i’ll give that a try.

I have the neogeo bios, does it stay in .zip or does it get uncompressed?
    [/quote]
    I uncompressed it to make it work for me.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

[quote=2362]
    How can I get ES to use another MAME emulator? I see advanceMAME was installed (from the tutorial) but there is no where that says how to use it over imame4all.

Also, when I checked the es_systems.cfg, I noticed the alternative run commands were there to uncomment to use other emulators (ie, piNES) but there was no alternative line for advancemame.
    [/quote]
    I do not know AdvanceMAME very much.

[quote=2379]Here is my debug.log After re-install, still same thing. Mame/Neo-Geo/GBC/GB roms will not work. I have GBA working now, thanks for the help with that.

Not sure what I am doing wrong…
    [/quote]
    Maybe try some different GB and GBC ROMs? Also, I unzipped them to make it work.

resentedpoet
    Participant

Hi,

I tried yet another reinstall, and I have working GB(A,Cl games now, thanks. The only thing left not working all the way right is mame. I tried a few other roms and had some partial success getting them to load. I was able to get Pac-Mac for example to load and work great, but Metal Slug or X-Men 2 for example, will not.

Also, Neo-Geo just refuses to work at all and when it crashes, it crashes ES and forces a hard reboot. Not sure what is going on here yet, would love to play Metal Slug 3 again. Wasted a lot of quarters on that growing up.

Incito

I too have much trouble with GBA and NeoGeo. I placed the bios ain the correct folders, I see the rom list in the UI, but here is what happens:
    GBA: Goes to terminal and shows verbose but then quickly exits out so I can’t see what it’s doing.
    NeoGeo: Shows the game loading an shows it loading the Bios file but then just a black screen that does nothing and I have to reboot to get out of it.

MAME needed the correct rom set 0.37 to work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.