Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Peoples Projects GamePi Zero

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 21 posts - 36 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    cruelcynic
    Participant

Thank you very much. Great job getting it compressed so small. I will be testing this tomorrow.

srfrboybob
    Participant

Thanks it took awhile to compress almost 4 gigs to under 1 gig. The image is almost the same as mine but I also forgot to bump up the gpu mem settings. Experiment and let me know what you find.

cruelcynic
    Participant

Works great so far. As soon as I get some replacement parts I will be wiring up the controls.

cruelcynic
    Participant

[quote=113744]Retrogame worked great for me. I followed the instructions on adafruit. https://learn.adafruit.com/retro-gaming-with-raspberry-pi/buttons

[/quote]
    Which pins did you use for start and select?

srfrboybob
    Participant

Should be pins 12 and 13. I matched them to the pocket pigrrl pin layout

cruelcynic
    Participant

[quote=115340]Should be pins 12 and 13. I matched them to the pocket pigrrl pin layout

[/quote]
    I am a bit confused on this still. The pocket pigrrl does not have a start select. It used the buttons on the screen. For me when I was reading the guide they used 12 and 13 for up and down.

srfrboybob
    Participant

The pocket pigrrl does have start and pause. They are setup in part of the 5 buttons below the screen. Attached is a picture from the pocket pigrrl setup that shows the pins and keys. I think I set pause up as a different key but as long as the config for retroarch is correct it shouldn’t matter.

pumpytums
    Participant

Hi,
    that’s a really nice build great job. I have just ordered the 2.8″ adafruit screen I’m hoping it will fit inside a gameboy pocket. If you don’t mind me asking what pcb did you use for the joypad?

thanks again

srfrboybob
    Participant

Thank you. I used two original pcbs for the controls. I cut one down as small as possible with all the buttons and one down to the a and b buttons. I glued them together using super glue. If you are using a standard two button style they do sell a easy soldier board out there.

pumpytums
    Participant

Thank you very much. I found an old broken Gameboy Pocket in Japan that arrived yesterday looks a bit small to be honest even with the other 2.2″ screen I’m testing at the moment. I may have to go with the Original Gameboy. I managed to get the scrren working with an old pigrrl image and a bit of tweaking.

I tried your img file for retropie last night and it works partially with my screen. I’m not surprised it doesn’t work fully to be honest. I tried to SSH into it and I get an error I also tried to connect my monitor to it via HDMI but the resolution is to low for my screen. So I’m a bit stuck.

Are you able to SSH into your Pi?

Many thanks in advance

TheRoboPro
    Participant

Can I see your audio circut?

srfrboybob
    Participant

I am able to ssh but it runs very slow. I have a Pi 2 with a screen I use to test and hardline the ssh.

srfrboybob
    Participant

Which part of the audio circuit do you want to see? I will take pictures but I just don’t want to disassemble the entire build if I can help it

pumpytums
    Participant

Hi,
    I would like to say a big thank you for posting the retropie img file it works great with my 2.8″r adafruit screen. I just tweaked the resolution and it looks and plays great.

I found a Gameboy dmg on ebay with a dodgy screen that I was going to use as a case but I reckon I can fix it now, I picked up a rare game (Ninja Gaiden Shadow) in the bundle too so that will help fund the rest of my project. I really don’t want to destroy a working gameboy though.

Thanks again

srfrboybob
    Participant

I’m glad I was able to help. There are still a few bugs but it works. I understand about not destroy in a functioning console. I only use broken units for these type of builds

TheRoboPro
    Participant

I just want to see a diagram about how you did it.

srfrboybob
    Participant

I found the image I used as a loose guide. The main exception I used a USB audio off of a Pi zero to a headphone jack I wired to the volume control

pumpytums
    Participant

Hi,
    im just about to fit the screen to my gameboy case can you explain how you change the screen aspect and size so it fits inside the window. I believe you have a 3.2″ screen so its much bigger than the DMG-01 screen hole.

many Thanks

srfrboybob
    Participant

The adafruit 3.2″ 2616 fits very well. It has four mounting holes that have to be removed. You also have to file the left and right edges just a hair and it should fit snug. After it is in place you will need to change the overscale options. Edit the /boot/config.txt and you will have to remove the #s from the overscale lines and play with the overscale sizes. It does take time but I do not remember the sizes at this time. I hope this helps.

pumpytums
    Participant

Thanks for the info, very versatile isn’t it. I killed my Adafruit TFT board de-soldering the header. It may be repairable some of the tracks have lifted. I wished I had looked on youtube I could have just cut the pins off. On the bright side I have a spare 2.8″ TFT screen now. They are quite cheap on Amazon at the moment.

Thanks again

zwagner
    Participant

Hey this is a great tutorial. My 3.2″ adafruit screen is on its way. You said it was pretty simple, but how do you set up the USB audio? And also, with your image, I can’t seem to find some of the emulators on there. Is there a way to get the n64 and gameboy emulators on it? Thanks!

Viewing 21 posts - 36 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • The forum ‘Peoples Projects’ is closed to new topics and replies.