Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All files can be found here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/czstdoy90skhydu/AABsRXbqoeVO5mybnk9hl1gHa?dl=0

GREEN DISPLAY
    =============
    To make the screen looking green you need to store the file default.pal into the folder:
    /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS/palettes/

Then edit the file
    /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-core-options.cfg
    and change the value of gambatte_gb_colorization to “custom”

OVERLAY
    =======

Preview:
    Preview

The PSD can be found in the dropbox address, I did put the grid, pallets and the gameboy itself in different layers to be easier to edit.

Viewport mapping:

aspect_ratio_index = "22"
    custom_viewport_width = "358"
    custom_viewport_height = "323"
    custom_viewport_x = "248"
    custom_viewport_y = "79"

PS: I’m still not satisfied with grid overlay yet, I’m open to suggestions.

UPDATE:
    I made a better viewport mapping and also I changed slighly the PSD.
    Also added to dropbox a file called “gb.cfg” with settings I used to put into retroarch.cfg file or to make an #include

InsecureSpike
    Participant

awesome! thank you

robertybob
    Participant

Where do I store the rest of the files in the .zip? Do I create a new folder in /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/shader and if so what do I call it?

Floob

[quote=112131]Where do I store the rest of the files in the .zip? Do I create a new folder in /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/shader and if so what do I call it?

[/quote]

default.pal = place in /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS/palettes/
    gb1080p.png = optional overlay
    gb1080p.psd = only needed if you want to create a new custom overlay yourself
    preview.jpg = not needed

If you want to use the gb1080p.png overlay, put this in your /opt/retropie/configs/gb/retroarch.cfg

video_scale_integer = true
    custom_viewport_height = "322"
    input_overlay = /path/to/your/gb1080p.png
    input_overlay_enable = true
    eightkiller
    Participant

Really nice work guys, it works like a charm. I just have a question, i still don’t get quite right how u manage to calculate the proper “custom_viewport height and with” and the “x and y position”.

I read all the post on the forum about this for other overlays for other emulators like snes etc., which works well too. But i don’t get how u figure the proper numbers including your “gameboy painting around the gaming area” or not including it for example.

Natively, if i got it right, the GameBoy has a 160×144 resolution, so what have been ur process to end with a

custom_viewport_height = "323"
    custom_viewport_x = "248"
    custom_viewport_y = "79"

If u could explain it to me again because i read things about this already but it’s not cristal clear and i would like to try to create some customized overlays myself ! I would be grateful for your help !

See u soon on the forum :p

LodanZark
    Participant

To create the PSD, I made a rectangle shape with 160×144, and then I rescale it without losing the proportion by pressing shift until get a cool size (804×724)and then I did position the that rectangle in the center of image to help me define the gameboy display zone.

My difficulty was mapping the position and size over the custom_viewport, mostly was over mess around with numbers until fits the screen, I don’t know which resolution output its processed by the emulator though :\

I should tweak 358×323 to 358×322 to have the same scale as 160×144 and 804×724, I will update the viewport mapping soon

EDIT:
    358×322 has a better scale yet it causes a blank horizontal pixel line in the bottom, I think the issue its related with custom_viewport_y = “79”, if i set value as “80” creates 2 or 3 blank horizontal pixels lines on the top, plus I cannot set the custom_viewport_y = “79.5”…
    I don’t know hat i should do, if let keep the 358×323 resolution on viewport or add a extra pixel line on the bottom into PSD file.

suprmonky73
    Participant

thanks for posting this, its awesome!

So i was having an issue getting Retroarch setup to use the PNG overlay.
    One thing that noobs like myself not realize is that the Input_overlay command needs to point to a .cfg file, and that .cfg file points to the .PNG file.

So the .cfg file is here:
    /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/borders/gb1080p.cfg
    and says this:
    overlays = 1
    overlay0_overlay = gb1080p.png
    overlay0_full_screen = true
    overlay0_descs = 0

Then in your
    /opt/retropie/configs/gb/retroarch.cfg file you add this stuff as mentioned above
    aspect_ratio_index = “22”
    video_scale_integer = true
    custom_viewport_width = “358”
    custom_viewport_height = “322”
    custom_viewport_x = “248”
    custom_viewport_y = “79”
    input_overlay = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/borders/gb1080p.cfg

I was assuming that the input_overlay was supposed to point to the PNG file’s location when in fact it needed to point to that overlay/borders/ location.
    Is this the correct way to set it up? i got it working like this at the very least!

LodanZark
    Participant

the file “gb1080p.cfg” should be in same folder as the png file, otherwise you need define the full path in the tag overlay0_overlay = /path/to/your/filename.png

Keigan
    Participant

Shouldn’t you have made it 800 x 720?

Now maybe the 4 extra pixels will make no difference, but I suggest that since it’s exactly 5x the original size. If you try to blow up an image 5.2% and keep nearest neighbor intact it’ll distort the pixels since it’ll blowing up 1 pixel into 5 in some cases and 6 in others causing the output to not have square pixels.

LodanZark
    Participant

I just had update the overlay, I did some upscale and made it work with proper resolution scaling,

here the new settings:

custom_viewport_width = "380"
    custom_viewport_height = "342"
    custom_viewport_x = "237"
    custom_viewport_y = "70"
    LodanZark
    Participant

I made a little update, I increased the space between display zone and border, plus I added a better grid, yet if you prefer the older one you can find it on psd file.

LodanZark
    Participant

New Update:
    Since the resolution was uncapped in latest commits of retropie, I’ve redone and re-tweak the image files and configs.

New Settings:

custom_viewport_width = "860"
    custom_viewport_height = "774"
    custom_viewport_x = "530"
    custom_viewport_y = "153"

input_overlay = /opt/retropie/configs/gb/overlay/gb1080p_grid.cfg
    input_overlay_opacity = 1.0
    input_overlay_scale = 1.0

Download Files

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.